Distance over which friction acts to make object roll

In summary: So the distance that friction acts is the distance it would have traveled if it had just gone from pure translation to rolling. Now consider the point in contact with ground. This will have 0 velocity once it starts to roll after a certain distance. Now this distance shouldn't be equal to distance D? It comes at 0 velocity after it has covered same distance as COM?In summary, friction only works for a certain distance before it stops working.
Abhishek11235
In Morin's textbook,he ask a problem of the work done by friction in making body roll if the body initially starts with pure translation (i.e sliding motion). However I didn't get require answer(via Work Energy theorem) and I gave up. I checked solution and I became confused. He tells that friction doesn't work over the distance d
Screenshot_2019-02-16-09-25-32.jpeg
(The distance from start position to the position at which body begins to roll) but at a distance given in screenshot. Now the point at which friction acts will travel the same distance as other points on body travel. Then,why friction acts shorter distance?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-02-16-09-25-32.jpeg
    Screenshot_2019-02-16-09-25-32.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
Abhishek11235 said:
why friction acts shorter distance?
Friction arises from the relative motion of surfaces in contact. Since the ball has started to roll, the relative motion is less than if it had not rolled. The difference is the angle of rotation (in radians) multiplied by the radius.

haruspex said:
Friction arises from the relative motion of surfaces in contact. Since the ball has started to roll, the relative motion is less than if it had not rolled. The difference is the angle of rotation (in radians) multiplied by the radius.
Consider ball initially in pure translation. Friction acts over this ball. Now we can find the distance when it begins to roll. Call it D. At this friction become static. Now consider the point in contact with ground. This will have 0 velocity once it starts to roll after a certain distance. Now this distance shouldn't be equal to distance D? It comes at 0 velocity after it has covered same distance as COM? I think I am not able to visualize it. Can you elaborate it?

Abhishek11235 said:
Consider ball initially in pure translation. Friction acts over this ball. Now we can find the distance when it begins to roll.
Pure translation lasts for no time. It will immediately start to turn, but not fast enough to be rolling. It will lose linear velocity but gain angular velocity until the two match and it transits to rolling.

1. What is friction and how does it affect an object's ability to roll?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. In the case of an object rolling, friction acts on the point of contact between the object and the surface it is rolling on. This frictional force can either help or hinder the object's ability to roll, depending on the surface and the object's shape.

2. How does the distance over which friction acts affect an object's rolling motion?

The distance over which friction acts can greatly impact an object's rolling motion. The longer the distance, the more frictional force is applied, which can slow down the object's rolling. This is why objects tend to roll further on smoother surfaces with less friction.

3. Is there a specific formula for calculating the distance over which friction acts on an object?

Yes, there is a formula to calculate the distance over which friction acts on an object. It is d = μmg, where d is the distance, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula can be used to determine the distance over which friction acts on an object, and ultimately its rolling motion.

4. Can the distance over which friction acts be increased or decreased?

Yes, the distance over which friction acts can be increased or decreased. It depends on the surface the object is rolling on and the amount of force applied. For example, if a heavy object is rolling on a rough surface, the distance over which friction acts will be longer compared to the same object rolling on a smooth surface.

5. How can the distance over which friction acts be minimized to increase an object's rolling distance?

The distance over which friction acts can be minimized by using a smoother surface or reducing the amount of force applied. For example, using a ball bearing instead of a solid ball will reduce the surface area in contact with the surface, minimizing the distance over which friction acts and allowing the object to roll further.