Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(distance)(speed of light)^2 = speed of time with units

1. May 6, 2008 #1
    Sorry, I think I made a thread in the wrong section before. I was wondering if anyone thought time could have a speed? If so, what would be its dimensions?

I encountered someone who claimed that
    (distance)(speed of light)^2 = speed of time
    with units, that would be m^3/s^2 = speed of time

is this possible? or is this some retarded proposal? Opinions?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2008 #2
    the way i see it speed is defined as the distance covered divided by the time taken.
    therefore speed is defined BY time:
    to define time by it speed would/could create a circular reference.
    [what is a fork? a fork is what goes with a knife. ok, so what is a knife then? a knife is what goes with a fork. we're not much further in finding out what a fork is!]
    i have wondered before if time was continuous or discreet, i.e. does the universe have a refresh rate of sorts. in my bit of digging i came across a concept of "plank time" i cant tell you anything about it though! but i thought you may be interested.
    just my two €cents
  4. Mar 2, 2009 #3
    Re: speed

Do you mean really "speed" or do you mean "rate"?

If you mean "speed", then no. Speed is displacement over time. Time cannot be described in this way. I cannot tell where the guy got
    the equation "(distance)(speed of light)^2 = speed of time". What does he mean by "distance" and why "[tex]C^{2}[/tex]"? but just to put a nail in that coffin:

(distance)(speed of light)^2 = speed of time
    (meters)(C meters per second)[tex]^{2}[/tex]=(meters per second)
    the units are
    [tex]\frac{m^{3}}{s^{2}} = \frac{m}{s}[/tex]

As you can see, that's not true. So, you can toss it out right there.

If you mean "rate", then yes. Time does have a rate. It is roughly 1 second per second.

If you mean something other than "speed" or "rate", you should clarify the OP. Maybe that means finding that guy again...
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?