Distance variation dependency between coil and magnet

In summary, there is no simple function or connection to determine the force between an electromagnet and magnet as the distance between them changes. While there are some mathematical models such as the inverse square law, the presence of two magnetic fields makes it difficult to determine an exact function. Numerical calculations can be used to estimate the force, but it is not a straightforward process. Substituting an un-magnetized iron for the magnet also adds complexity due to the distortion of the magnetic field. In conclusion, determining the force in this scenario is a complex task and may not be possible without specialized equipment.
pasall
Hello!

I'm wondering if there's a general dependency/connection/correlation/function for changes in distance between an electromagnet (coil with iron core) and a magnet (Samarium Cobalt). Here's a picture to explain what I mean:

3o1tYH2.jpg

If I move the coil closer to the magnet (smaller x) the force on the magnet increases and vice versa. I've discovered that it's not a linear connection. I've tried searching and the closest answer I've found is a function like f(x)=1/x^3 or f(x)=1/x^2 which I believe is called the inverese square law. However, in this case there are two magnetic fields involved so maybe it's not possible to determine such function for the above case? Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
pasall said:
However, in this case there are two magnetic fields involved so maybe it's not possible to determine such function for the above case?
Can you determine the force if the magnet is substituted by un-magnetized iron?

When you close up the magnet/iron, the magnetic field in the air gap will be distorted, and the location at some unlinear magnetizing characteristic will change.

It will not be a 1/x2 - function, nor a 1/x3.

A computer can calculate it, using numerical calculations.

Hesch said:
Can you determine the force if the magnet is substituted by un-magnetized iron?

Not really. I don't have the necessary equipment available and it's not that important either. Basically I wanted to know if there was a simple function/connection or if it was more complicated. I think I've got the answer (that it's very complex) and that will do just fine! Thank you for your answer!

What is the distance variation dependency between a coil and a magnet?

The distance variation dependency between a coil and a magnet refers to how the distance between the two affects their interaction and the resulting electrical current produced by the coil.

How does the distance between a coil and a magnet affect their interaction?

The distance between a coil and a magnet affects their interaction by altering the strength of the magnetic field that passes through the coil. The closer the two are, the stronger the magnetic field will be and the more current will be induced in the coil.

What is the relationship between distance and induced current in a coil?

The relationship between distance and induced current in a coil is inversely proportional. This means that as the distance between the coil and magnet decreases, the induced current in the coil increases, and vice versa.

What factors can affect the distance variation dependency between a coil and a magnet?

Some factors that can affect the distance variation dependency between a coil and a magnet include the strength of the magnet, the number of turns in the coil, and the material and size of the coil and magnet.

How can the distance variation dependency between a coil and a magnet be manipulated for practical applications?

The distance variation dependency between a coil and a magnet can be manipulated by adjusting the distance between them, as well as changing the strength and properties of the coil and magnet. This can be useful for applications such as generators, motors, and sensors.