1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distribution of electrons below the Fermi energy

1. Dec 7, 2007 #1
    I feel dumb that I can't figure this out. I'm sure its something simple that I'm just not seeing, but its really frustrating.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How many electrons (in percent of the total number of electrons per mole) lie KbT (ev) below the Fermi energy? Take Ef=5eV and T=300K

2. Relevant equations
    Not quite sure, since the Fermi function did not work.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using the Fermi function and end up with values around 30%. The answer (from the back of the book) is [tex]\Delta[/tex]N/Ntot=.566%

Any ideas ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2007 #2
    Since Ef is much larger than kT, you wouldn't expect 30% of the electrons to lie between Ef-kT and Ef, right? You'd expect a much smaller fraction, like the answer from the book.

When you integrated the Fermi function to get [tex]\Delta[/tex]N and Ntot, what were the energy boundaries of your integrals?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?