What is the Density of Conduction Electrons in Monovalent Copper?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
teme92
Messages
185
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



Monovalent copper (one conduction electron per atom) has a density of 9000 kg m-3 and atomic mass of 64 amu (ie. 1 kmole = 64kg). Find:

a)The density of conduction electrons per unit volume

b)the Fermi energy in electron volts

Homework Equations



f(E) = 1/(e(E-EF)/KT+1)

ρ=m/V

The Attempt at a Solution



So this is the first problem I've done on Fermi-Dirac so I'm a bit stuck here.

So I got the volume from V=m/ρ, so:

V=64/9000=.007m3

Is this even relevant to the question? Really lost and any help would be much appreciated
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I have to use the formula n=DNA/m

where:

NA=Avogadros No. = 6.02x1023 mol-1
D=Density=9000 kg m-3=9000000 g m-3
m=64 amu= g mol-1

I used the formula to get n=(9000000)(6.02x1023)/64=8.4375x1028 m-3

Is this the answer for part a)?