Distribution of X for an Urn with n Balls

  • Thread starter Thread starter DenisaZsuZsa
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Balls Distribution
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
DenisaZsuZsa
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



You have an urn that contains n balls labeled with the natural numbers {1,2,3,...,n} and you extract n balls from the urn (with the condition that a ball may not be returned to the urn once drawn). You have to determine the distribution of X=(X1,X2,...,Xn), where Xk is the number of the ball from the k-th extraction.


Homework Equations



For Z a discrete random variable, that can take the values 1, ..., n

Probability Distribution
p(z)=P(Z=z)

Cumulative Distribution Function
F(z)=P(Z<z)

where z is in {1,...,n}


The Attempt at a Solution



There are n! possible cases.

Xk (k={1,...,n}) are discrete random variable. Before the k-th extraction in the urn there are n-k+1 balls left with the probability of occurrence = 1/(n-k+1) and Xk are discrete random variable:


1 2 ... n​
X1: ( 1/n 1/n ... 1/n )


considering i1 the number of the ball extracted on the first extraction, we have:





1 ... i1-1 i1 i1+1 .. n​
X2: ( 1/(n-1) ... 1/(n-1) 0 1/(n-1) .. 1/(n-1) )

that means that for i1 the probability of occurrence = 0.
...

before the last extraction there is 1 ball left in urn, that obviously, has the probability of occurrence = 1.

I have no clue what to do next and I need it to demonstrate something for a bigger project. I do not ask you for the solution, I just need some hints.


P.S.: I hope you will understand what I wrote here, I've tried my best. Sorry if you don't, english is not my native language.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The probability that the first ball is labeled [itex]x_1[/itex] for any [itex]x_1[/itex] is 1/n. The probability that the second ball is labeled [itex]x_2[/itex] for any [itex]x_2[/itex] other than [itex]x_1[/tex] is 1/(n-1), etc. Thus the probability [itex]P(X)= P(X_1, X_2, ..., X_n)[/itex][itex]= (1/n)(1/(n-1))(1/(n-2))..., (1/2)(1/1)= 1/n![/itex] as long as X is a permutation of (1, 2, 3,..., n) and 0 if it is not (that is, if the same integer occurs more than once in the "X"s).[/itex]
 
HallsofIvy said:
The probability that the first ball is labeled [itex]x_1[/itex] for any [itex]x_1[/itex] is 1/n. The probability that the second ball is labeled [itex]x_2[/itex] for any [itex]x_2[/itex] other than [itex]x_1[/tex] is 1/(n-1), etc. Thus the probability [itex]P(X)= P(X_1, X_2, ..., X_n)[/itex][itex]= (1/n)(1/(n-1))(1/(n-2))..., (1/2)(1/1)= 1/n![/itex] as long as X is a permutation of (1, 2, 3,..., n) and 0 if it is not (that is, if the same integer occurs more than once in the "X"s).[/itex]
[itex] <br /> That is logic, cause it's: the number of favorable cases/number of posible cases => 1/n!<br /> Also you can't say P(X), you have to say P(X=value) or P(X<value), so the corect way is: P(X=(x<sub>1</sub>,...x<sub>n</sub>))=P(X<sub>1</sub>=x<sub>1</sub>, ...X<sub>n</sub>=x<sub>n</sub>)<br /> <br /> What I do not know is how to put the condition: X is a permutation of (1, 2, ...,n), meaning that I don't not how to express the dependecies between X<sub>1</sub> and X<sub>2</sub> , between X<sub>2</sub> and X<sub>3</sub> and so on...<br /> <br /> <br /> If I didn't have the condition: X is a permutation of (1, 2, ...,n), in other words if they where independent, I could say that E[X<sub>i</sub>]=(n+1)/ 2 and Var(X<sub>i</sub>)= (n-1)<sup>2</sup>/12, but they aren't independent.<br /> <br /> How can I calculate the mean and Var in this case?[/itex]