Distribution Theory F_n -> d_o

In summary: Only the integral of x*phi'(0) goes to zero. So the error term has to be small enough that the integral of x*phi'(0)+O(x^2) is small enough. That's precisely what you need to prove.In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving integrals and continuity. The first step is to determine where the given functions are nonzero and use that information to simplify the integral. The conversation also addresses using the fact that Phi is continuous and the definition of continuity to prove the integral. The final part of the conversation discusses an alternative method involving setting Phi(x) equal to its Taylor expansion and using the integral of x*phi'(0) to obtain the desired result.
MidnightR
[PLAIN]http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4661/img8965n.jpg

Problem 1.35. If you need help with the notation let me know but I think it's fairly standard.

For 1. I think this integral is equal to the same integral between 0 and 1 because for x<0 F_n = 0 and for x>1 F_n = 0 but other than that I'm not sure. I'm guessing it has something to do with as n tends to infinity f(nx) = 0

Just starting the problem so any tips please thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
f(x) is nonzero between for x between -1 and 1. Don't ignore the absolute value. Where is F_n(x) nonzero? What's the integral of f(x) and F_n(x)?

f(nx) = 3/4(1-(n^2)(x^2)) for -1/n <= x <= 1/n and
f(nx) = 0 for |x| > 1/n

Hence we have the integral between -1/n and 1/n of nf(nx)Phi(x).dx

but the integral between -1/n and 1/n of nf(nx) = 1 so we just have

the integral between -1/n and 1/n of Phi(x).dx

This is where I am so far...

MidnightR said:
f(nx) = 3/4(1-(n^2)(x^2)) for -1/n <= x <= 1/n and
f(nx) = 0 for |x| > 1/n

Hence we have the integral between -1/n and 1/n of nf(nx)Phi(x).dx

but the integral between -1/n and 1/n of nf(nx) = 1 so we just have

the integral between -1/n and 1/n of Phi(x).dx

This is where I am so far...

Not quite. You still have the integral of F_n(x)*Phi(x)dx. You can't just set the F_n to 1 because it's integral is 1. You have to use that Phi is continuous. If you want to prove it directly from the definition of continuity you have that for all epsilon>0 there is a delta>0 such that |Phi(x)-Phi(0)|<epsilon if |x-0|<delta. You CAN say that the integral of F_n(x)*Phi(0)*dx=Phi(0).

How about this [Note: |x| < 0 should read |x|< delta]

w1fmug.jpg

MidnightR said:
How about this [Note: |x| < 0 should read |x|< delta]

That looks pretty good to me.

Uh for the second one I'm getting -1/2 Phi'(0) not -Phi'(0)

Have they made a mistake? I can't see a problem with my method. It's essentially the same as the first question except you use the fact that

int between 1/n and -1/n of [itex]\frac{-3n^3}{2}[/itex]xPhi(x).dx is equal to

int between 1/n and -1/n of [[itex]x^2\frac{-3n^3}{4}[/itex]]'Phi(x).dx is equal to

int between 1/n and -1/n of [itex]x\frac{3n^3}{4}[/itex]Phi'(x).dx

Last edited:
MidnightR said:
Uh for the second one I'm getting -1/2 Phi'(0) not -Phi'(0)

Have they made a mistake? I can't see a problem with my method. It's essentially the same as the first question except you use the fact that

int between 1/n and -1/n of [itex]\frac{-3n^3}{2}[/itex]xPhi(x).dx is equal to

int between 1/n and -1/n of [[itex]x^2\frac{-3n^3}{4}[/itex]]'Phi(x).dx is equal to

int between 1/n and -1/n of [itex]x\frac{3n^3}{4}[/itex]Phi'(x).dx

I guess I would write -3n^3x/2 as F_n'(x). So you can change the integral of F_n'(x)*Phi(x) into the integral of -F_n(x)*Phi'(x) and then use the first part. Or you could write Phi(x)=Phi(0)+x*Phi'(0)+... and do the integral directly. In either case I don't see an extra factor of 2.

Dick said:
I guess I would write -3n^3x/2 as F_n'(x). So you can change the integral of F_n'(x)*Phi(x) into the integral of -F_n(x)*Phi'(x) and then use the first part.

I don't follow, the question tells you g_n = -3n^3x/2, I can't set g_n' = -3n^3x/2

MidnightR said:
I don't follow, the question tells you g_n = -3n^3x/2, I can't set g_n' = -3n^3x/2

My point is that g_n(x)=-3n^3x/2 is equal to the derivative of the f_n(x) function from the first part. g_n(x)=f_n'(x). Why not use that fact in your integration by parts?

Dick said:
My point is that g_n(x)=-3n^3x/2 is equal to the derivative of the f_n(x) function from the first part. g_n(x)=f_n'(x). Why not use that fact in your integration by parts?

Ha ha, yes I see what you mean. Hm that was silly.

As an aside if you were to set phi(x) = phi(0) + xphi'(0) + O(x^2)

What would you do with the phi(0), obviously xphi'(0) gives you your result and all O(x^2) terms (and higher) just = 0 as n-> infinity

MidnightR said:
Ha ha, yes I see what you mean. Hm that was silly.

As an aside if you were to set phi(x) = phi(0) + xphi'(0) + O(x^2)

What would you do with the phi(0), obviously xphi'(0) gives you your result and all O(x^2) terms (and higher) just = 0 as n-> infinity

The integral of x*phi(0) doesn't have to approach zero. It IS zero.

Last edited:

1. What is Distribution Theory F_n -> d_o?

Distribution Theory F_n -> d_o is a mathematical theory that studies the limiting behavior of a sequence of random variables. It deals with the convergence of the distribution of these variables to a particular limiting distribution, denoted as d_o.

2. What is the significance of studying Distribution Theory F_n -> d_o?

Studying Distribution Theory F_n -> d_o is important in understanding the behavior of random variables and their convergence. This theory has numerous applications in fields such as statistics, probability, and economics, making it essential for researchers and scientists in these areas.

3. How does Distribution Theory F_n -> d_o differ from other distribution theories?

Distribution Theory F_n -> d_o differs from other distribution theories, such as the Central Limit Theorem, in that it focuses on the convergence of the entire distribution of a sequence of random variables, rather than just their means or sums. This makes it a more comprehensive theory for studying the behavior of random variables.

4. What are some examples of distributions that can be studied using Distribution Theory F_n -> d_o?

Distribution Theory F_n -> d_o can be applied to a wide range of distributions, including the normal distribution, exponential distribution, binomial distribution, and many others. It can also be used to study the limiting behavior of more complex distributions, such as the Poisson process.

5. Are there any limitations to Distribution Theory F_n -> d_o?

Like any mathematical theory, there are certain limitations to Distribution Theory F_n -> d_o. It may not be applicable to all types of random variables, and the convergence of the distribution may not always be guaranteed. Additionally, this theory assumes that the sample size is large enough for the limiting behavior to be accurately studied.