Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distributional derivative of one-parameter family of distributions

1. Jun 16, 2014 #1
    Suppose, for a suitable class of real-valued test functions [itex]T(\mathbb{R}^n)[/itex], that [itex]\{G_x\}[/itex] is a one-parameter family of distributions. That is, [itex]\forall x \in \mathbb{R}^n, G_x: T(\mathbb{R}^n) \to \mathbb{R}[/itex].

Now, suppose [itex]L[/itex] is a linear differential operator. That is, [itex]\forall g \in T(\mathbb{R}^n)[/itex] makes sense in terms of the normal definitions of derivates (assuming, of course, that [itex]g[/itex] is sufficiently smooth). [itex]L[/itex] also has meaning when acting on distributions by interpreting all derivatives as distributional derivatives. For example, the derivative of the distribution [itex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} G_{x_0} [/itex] is defined by: [itex]\forall g \in T(\mathbb{R}^n), \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} G_{x_0}(g) = G_{x_0}(- \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}g)[/itex].

Note that smooth functions can multiply distributions to form a new distribution in the following way. Suppose [itex]f:\mathbb{R}^n \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] is a smooth function. Then [itex]f G_x[/itex] is defined by: [itex]\forall g \in T(\mathbb{R}^n), (f G_x) (g) = G_x(f g) [/itex]

These facts give [itex]L G_x[/itex] meaning.

Also, for fixed [itex]g \in T(\mathbb{R}^n)[/itex], [itex] (x \mapsto G_x (g)) [/itex] is a possibly (non-smooth?) function. Define the function [itex]\psi_g : \mathbb{R}^n \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] by [itex]\psi_g (x) = G_x(g) [/itex]

Now, here is my question: When is the following equality true?

[tex] L (\psi_g) (x_0) = (L G_{x_0}) (g), \forall x_0 \in \mathbb{R}^n [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook