Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence in spherical coordinates.

1. Aug 6, 2013 #1
    I want to verify:
    [tex]\vec A=\hat R \frac{k}{R^2}\;\hbox{ where k is a constant.}[/tex]
    [tex]\nabla\cdot\vec A=\frac{1}{R^2}\frac{\partial (R^2A_R)}{\partial R}+\frac{1}{R\sin\theta}\frac{\partial (A_{\theta}\sin\theta)}{\partial \theta}+\frac{1}{R\sin\theta}\frac{\partial A_{\phi}}{\partial \phi}[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow\;\nabla\cdot\vec A=\frac{1}{R^2}\frac{\partial \left(R^2\frac{k}{R^2}\right)}{\partial R}= \frac{1}{R^2}\frac{\partial k}{\partial R}=0[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't have any problem with that until the last part. What does [itex]\partial k/\partial R[/itex] mean? If "k" is the unit vector in the z direction, it is a constant, and any derivative of it is 0.

4. Aug 6, 2013 #3
    He defines ##k## as a constant. So ##\frac{\partial k}{\partial R}## is the partial derivative of ##k## with respect to the variable ##R## which is zero, as he gets.

5. Aug 6, 2013 #4
    Thanks, this is part of a problem in Electrodynamics where the solution manual claimed it is not zero. I just want to verify.

Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook