1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence of the curl problem question

1. Jan 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    if a vector can be written as the curl of another vector, its divergence vanishes. Can you justify the statement: "any vector field whose divergence vanishes identically can be written as the curl of some other vector"?

2. Relevant equations

Prove this by construction. Let [tex]{\nabla}{\cdot}{\vec{V}}=0[/tex] and try to find any vector, U, for which [tex]{\vec{V}}={\nabla}{\cdot}{\vec{U}}[/tex]
    This amounts to showing that you have enough freedom to pick as components of \vec{U}, functions which satisfy some simple differetial equations. Simplify somewhat by trying to find a vector, [itex]{\vec{U}}[/itex], for which, say, [itex]{\vec{U_z}}=0[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that for [tex]{\nabla}{\cdot}{\vec{V}}=0[/tex] we have to have for example, a vector field such as: [tex]{\vec{V}}={yz}\hat{x}+{xz}\hat{y}+{xy}\hat{z}[/tex] so that when we do [tex]{\nabla}{\cdot}{\vec{V}}=0[/tex]. I'm confused if the problem is just asking to prove the divergence of the curl is equal to 0 which I have already done a few homework problems ago or if its asking for something different here...because I'm confused by the hint that it's giving me (in relevant equations).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2013 #2
    I believe there is a typo in your relevant equations. They want you to show that if
    [tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{V} = 0[/tex]
    for any particular vector field [itex]\vec{V}[/itex], then you can always find a vector field [itex]\vec{U}[/itex] such that
    [tex]\nabla \times \vec{U} = \vec{V}[/tex]
    They want you to construct a vector field U by x, y and z components that satisfies the second equation, using the equation for the divergence of V being 0 as the only given fact.
    This is actually similar to a proof you may have done earlier: in 3-dimensional space, if [itex]\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B}=0[/itex], then there is a vector [itex]\vec{C}[/itex] such that [itex]\vec{A}\times\vec{C}=\vec{B}[/itex].

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook