Divergence theorem SUPER complex, maybe

In summary, the given vector function F can be evaluated using the divergence theorem, but only after adding three additional surfaces to enclose the given surface S. The result is zero, indicating that the integral over S is equal to the sum of the integrals over the other three surfaces.
samee

Homework Statement

use divergence theorem to evaluate ∫s∫F dot n dA if

F=[sinh yz, 0, y4] , S: r=[u,cosv,sinv], -4≤u≤4 , 0≤v≤pi

The Attempt at a Solution

Instructor surprised us with this one, I have no idea how to attempt. I know that ∫vdiv v dV=∫sn dot v dA, which is the divergence theorem, but I have no idea how to apply it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to find [tex]\nabla \bullet F[/tex]
samee said:
F=[sinh yz, 0, y4] , S: r=[u,cosv,sinv], -4≤u≤4 , 0≤v≤pi

Instructor surprised us with this one, I have no idea how to attempt. I know that ∫vdiv v dV=∫sn dot v dA, which is the divergence theorem, but I have no idea how to apply it.

In principle, yes. The gradient of a function.

It should be (1/r)(∂/∂r)(rvr)+(1/r)(∂/∂θ)vθ+(∂/∂z)vz

Gradient and divergence are different.
One takes gradient of scalar field. The result is vector field.
One takes divergence of vector field. The result is scalar field.

You are given a vector function F in cartesian coordinates. The following link should help. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergence#Application_in_Cartesian_coordinates

samee said:
In principle, yes. The gradient of a function.

It should be (1/r)(∂/∂r)(rvr)+(1/r)(∂/∂θ)vθ+(∂/∂z)vz

Since your function as given in terms of x, y, and z, wouldn't it be better to use
[tex]\nabla\cdot f\vec{i}+ g\vec{j}+ h\vec{k}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial g}{\partial y}+ \frac{\partial h}{\partial z}[/tex]
be better?

Now, what is the divergence of this vector function, [itex]sinh(yz)\vec{i}+ y^4\vec{k}[/itex]?

(Quite frankly, this problem is remarkably trivial!)

OK!

So (∂f/∂x)=(∂/∂x)sinh(yz)=0
and (∂h/∂z)=(∂/∂z)y4=0

so the divergence of F is zero! and anything dot zero is zero, right? so the answer is zero??

Looks good.

Whenever one sees a crazy closed surface integral or contour line integral, it would be wise to check if the vector function is divergence free or curl free respectively.

samee said:
OK!

So (∂f/∂x)=(∂/∂x)sinh(yz)=0
and (∂h/∂z)=(∂/∂z)y4=0

so the divergence of F is zero! and anything dot zero is zero, right? so the answer is zero??

Thank you so much! I took an incomplete due to family issues in this class and I'm trying to make it up this summer, but it's been such a mess trying to remember the 1st half of the class and do homework for the 2nd half with almost a year between. Thank you for your help!

Hold on a minute there everyone. The divergence theorem applies to a surface enclosing a volume, which this isn't. You can add three more obvious surfaces to your given surface ##S## to enclose volume. Call them ##S_1,\,S_2,\, S_3##. Now if your surface is oriented so your enclosed volume surface is directed outward (orientation wasn't given), you can apply the divergence theorem. So what you have so far is$$
\iint_{S_1\cup S_2 \cup S_3 \cup S}\vec F \cdot d\vec S=\iiint_V \nabla\cdot \vec F\ dV
= 0$$
That just tells you the integral over ##S## is minus the sum of the surface integrals over the other 3 surfaces. You aren't finished until you check them.

Okay, so I check them out by computing the dot product of F over each surface?

samee said:
Okay, so I check them out by computing the dot product of F over each surface?

Yes. What you hope for in this type of problem is that the surface integral over the other three surfaces is easier to calculate than the original surface integral. I think you will find that is the case in this problem.

What is the divergence theorem and why is it important in mathematics?

The divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a fundamental concept in vector calculus that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of the field within the enclosed volume. It is important in mathematics because it allows for the conversion of a difficult surface integral into a simpler volume integral, making it a useful tool in solving many physical and mathematical problems.

What makes the divergence theorem "SUPER complex"?

The divergence theorem can be considered complex because it involves understanding the concept of a vector field and its properties, as well as the concept of a closed surface and its orientation. Additionally, there are various mathematical formulations of the theorem, each with its own level of complexity.

How is the divergence theorem related to other theorems in calculus?

The divergence theorem is closely related to other theorems in calculus, such as Green's theorem, Stokes' theorem, and the fundamental theorem of calculus. In fact, Green's theorem can be seen as a special case of the divergence theorem in two dimensions, while Stokes' theorem is a generalization of the divergence theorem to higher dimensions.

Can you provide an example of how the divergence theorem is used in real-world applications?

One example of the divergence theorem being used in real-world applications is in fluid dynamics. By applying the theorem, we can calculate the net flow of a fluid through a closed surface, which can help in understanding and predicting the behavior of fluids in various systems, such as in aerodynamics or weather forecasting.

What are some common misconceptions about the divergence theorem?

One common misconception about the divergence theorem is that it only applies to three-dimensional vector fields. In reality, the theorem can be generalized to higher dimensions, making it applicable to a wider range of mathematical problems. Another misconception is that the divergence theorem is only useful in theoretical mathematics, when in fact it has many practical applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.