Diverse Interests Degree Trouble

• Programs
  • Thread starter dr721
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the person is trying to choose a major and is considering options such as Chemistry, Biological Engineering, and Biochemical Engineering. They are interested in fields such as biological chemistry, materials chemistry, nanoscience, tissue engineering, genetic engineering, and neurobiology, and would like some insight and perspective on potential degrees and career opportunities.
dr721
Have to declare my major this year and I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I was previously a physics major, but decided to change tracks due to my stronger interest in chemistry, biology, and engineering. My current plans are to try to go to medical school and get into academic medicine. I have very strong interests in biological chemistry, materials chemistry, nanoscience, tissue engineering, genetic engineering, and neurobiology. I understand this is a wide array of topics which are by no means shallow in material and research, but I am trying to encompass these interest as best as possible into my field of study.

These are the degrees I am presently considering,

Chemistry - I fear the job market if I decide against medical school, though.
Biological Engineering - I don't know that it would encompass the level of chemistry I would really like.
Biochemical Engineering - I have been told this degree is designed specifically for an industrial or process engineering type career which is not the R&D type focus I desire.

I would really love some insight as to these degrees and any others, or simply some perspective on the fields I am interested in.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Biochemistry and Microbiology might be good choices. Either would allow for some academic research opportunities, and job positions are often advertised for people with knowledge and skills in those sciences.

1. What is a Diverse Interests Degree?

A Diverse Interests Degree is a program that allows students to explore multiple academic disciplines and pursue a variety of interests, rather than focusing on just one specific field of study.

2. How does a Diverse Interests Degree differ from a traditional degree?

A Diverse Interests Degree offers a more flexible and interdisciplinary approach to education, allowing students to combine courses from different departments and create a unique curriculum tailored to their interests.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a Diverse Interests Degree?

Some benefits of a Diverse Interests Degree include gaining a broad knowledge base, developing critical thinking and problem solving skills, and being able to adapt to a variety of career paths. It also allows students to explore their passions and potentially discover new areas of interest.

4. Are there any potential challenges or drawbacks to pursuing a Diverse Interests Degree?

One potential challenge may be the lack of a clear career path, as the degree may not be as specialized as a traditional degree. Additionally, it may require more planning and coordination to ensure all course requirements are met.

5. What types of careers are common for graduates with a Diverse Interests Degree?

Graduates with a Diverse Interests Degree may pursue careers in a variety of fields, including but not limited to education, government, non-profits, and business. The diverse skill set and knowledge gained can be valuable in many industries.