DIY Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide Detector?

In summary, the individual is interested in building a detector to measure and log outdoor atmospheric CO2 levels, but is having trouble finding a sensor with high accuracy and a reasonable price. They mention a few options, including a spectrum absorption detector and a sensor with ±30ppm accuracy. They also mention finding some sensors within their price range, but with a slightly higher accuracy of ±70ppm. They are also considering building a setup with a microcontroller and power source, which may end up being more expensive than buying a manufactured unit. The individual is wondering if the variation in CO2 levels would affect the accuracy of the measurements and if the values would still be useful when averaged. They ask for any insights or suggestions on this matter.
jenny_shoars
I thought it would be an interesting project to build a detector that will measure and log the outdoor atmospheric CO2 levels. These (global average) levels are currently about 400ppm and these (global average) levels vary by a few ppm every year. Looking for a sensor though, I can't seem to find any that have an accuracy much better than ±30ppm. That is, unless I setup a spectrum absorption detector or something similar, but this might be a bit out of my price range, especially, since I was hoping to have a small circuit which I could run 24/7, constantly logging data, and running off a solar panel so I didn't have to do much to keep it running smoothly. Anyone know of a better solution? Perhaps an accurate sensor I missed? Or might the variation per measurement be enough that the ±30ppm would still give good average results? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
As with any equipment, the more accurate you want it to be the more expensive it is.
I did a bit of browsing and came across these, (I am not in any way associated with the vendor).
http://www.temcocontrols.com/products/sensors/c02-hum-aq/co2-sensors.htm
These all see to be within a price range that's not excessive.

You could of course try to make something similar from component parts, but I'd say that will end up being more expensive than buying a manufactured unit, since you will be buying the parts at unit cost unlike a manufacturer who can buy them in bulk at a lower price.

Last edited:
Thanks. These are ±70ppm. The sensor I was looking at (MG811 Sensor) is ±50ppm and only $35. So with a homebuilt setup (add on a simple microcontroller and something to power it), I could probably get away with a setup just over $50 (excluding the solar panel cost).

If there isn't a better option, the only other question I would have for someone that might know, is if the variation from measurement to measurement would be more than 50ppm. That is, if the variability per gust of wind is more than that. In such a case, the measurements would still produce a useful outcome when averaged. However, if the variation is only a few ppm, then if the low accuracy is caused by some systematic error, the values might not be useful. Anyone happen to have a bit of insight on this?

1. What is a DIY Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide Detector?

A DIY Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide Detector is a device that measures the level of carbon dioxide in the air. It can be built at home using simple materials and instructions, making it a cost-effective and accessible option for individuals interested in monitoring their environment.

2. How does a DIY Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide Detector work?

A DIY Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide Detector works by using a carbon dioxide sensor, which detects and measures the concentration of carbon dioxide in the air. The sensor sends this information to a microcontroller, which then displays the data on a screen or sends it to a computer for further analysis.

3. Why is it important to monitor the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere?

Carbon dioxide is a major greenhouse gas that contributes to global warming and climate change. Monitoring its levels in the atmosphere can help us understand the impact of human activities on the environment and make informed decisions to reduce our carbon footprint.

4. What are the benefits of building a DIY Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide Detector?

Building a DIY Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide Detector allows individuals to have a better understanding of their local environment and the impact of their daily activities on the planet. It also provides a fun and educational project for people interested in science and technology.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when building and using a DIY Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide Detector?

Yes, it is important to handle the electronic components with caution and to follow all instructions carefully. It is also essential to calibrate the detector regularly to ensure accurate readings. Additionally, the device should not be used in hazardous environments or as a substitute for professional air quality monitoring equipment.