DIY material for photographing Sun

In summary, to view the solar eclipse safely, experts suggest you use welding goggles and a filter of Shade 12 or higher. You could also buy a pair of filters and put them between two pieces of aluminized mylar film.
leroyjenkens
I procrastinated big time about getting some solar filter or solar film or something to make my camera capable of filming the Sun, and now I can't find anything.
I tried buying replacement glass for welding masks, but even with 4 sheets of it stacked together, the Sun blasts right through it. That stuff doesn't work well at all. It's only slightly foggy. No way you'd be able to weld with only that in front of your face.
I was able to make my own DIY Sun glasses, which is just 6 sunglasses stacked on top of each other. I found that that is the perfect amount for me to be able to look directly at the Sun.
But other than buying 6 more Sunglasses for my camera, which would be difficult to set up, and expensive, does anyone have an idea for some kind of makeshift material I could use? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a good suggestion, but I think any light that isn't reflected off of that material is absorbed by it. It's hard to believe any visible light is penetrating it. The range of wavelengths that it reflects goes from the visible spectrum all through the infrared spectrum. I think if any light is getting through it, it would be in the infrared.
Thank you for the response.

A lens for arc welding with a density of 12 to 14 works well, and they cost only a few dollars at the local welding supply store or large hardware chain. They are glass with unpolished edges so you may want to add a couple layers of tape around the edges. They are also adequate for visual observation with an optical density that let's thru only 1/(160 000) for the #12 and 1/(1 200 000) for the #14. I use a #13 at 1/(440 000). Much safer than stacking up sunglasses with unknown characteristics!

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety
About half way down the page under "Additional Safety Information":

"Viewing with Protection -- Experts suggests that one widely available filter for safe solar viewing is welders glass of sufficiently high number. The only ones that are safe for direct viewing of the Sun with your eyes are those of Shade 12 or higher."

Too late for the eclipse now but I used a pinhole projector to observe the transit of Venus some years ago. Not brilliant but dead easy to make at short notice.

Last year, we did go to see the solar eclipse. Unfortunately, the eclipse glasses that we ordered did not arrive.
As a backup, I did two things:
1. Got a pair of welding goggles and an extra filter of the highest density they had in the store. With the two combined and setting the minimum aperture and exposure time of 1/4000 s, I could get the intensity of the light in the linear range of the camera. Still, multiple reflections between the two filters did show up in the pictures. The resultant picture had a strong greenish tint.
2. Bought two neutral density filters. After a test found out that they did not provide enough attenuation of the solar light, so, I put aluminized mylar film in between the two filters. This way I had something I could quickly install in my camera. Two layers got the total intensity into the correct range. The images had a bit of blue tint because metallic absorption depends on the wavelength. Because of two layers, there were still multiple reflections in the images. This is actually way cheaper, it costs a few bucks for a couple of square yards of the film.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
The material inside old school 3.5" floppy discs works great as a red/near-IR filter. For sun viewing you'd probably have to stack a bunch of them up, but I'm sure you could make it work.

What materials do I need for photographing the Sun?

To photograph the Sun, you will need a camera, a solar filter, a tripod, and a remote shutter release. You may also want to use a telephoto lens for a closer shot.

Can I use regular camera filters for photographing the Sun?

No, regular camera filters are not safe for photographing the Sun. They are not strong enough to block out the intense light from the Sun and can damage your camera or your eyes.

How do I make a DIY solar filter for my camera?

You can make a DIY solar filter using a piece of solar film or eclipse glasses. Cut the material to fit your camera lens and securely attach it using tape or a rubber band. Make sure there are no gaps for light to enter through.

What is the best time of day to photograph the Sun?

The best time to photograph the Sun is during sunrise or sunset when the sunlight is less intense. Avoid photographing the Sun when it is directly overhead, as this can cause harsh shadows and overexposure.

Can I use my smartphone to photograph the Sun?

Yes, you can use your smartphone to photograph the Sun, but you will need a solar filter as well. You may also need to manually adjust the exposure and ISO settings to get a clear and accurate shot of the Sun.