DIY Privacy Shades: Make Your Own IR-Blocking Sunglasses

• Optical
  • Thread starter phyduck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diy
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creating DIY privacy sunglasses that can prevent CCTV cameras from using IR facial recognition. The proposed method involves using an IR reflective coating on the frames and an IR absorbing film on the lenses. The suggested materials for this project are reflective window film for cars and "IR shield" film commonly used for DIY infrared camera filters. The conversation ends with a wish of good luck for the project.
phyduck
TL;DR Summary
I am looking to make a diy version of commercially available privacy sunglasses. The purpose of these glasses is to prevent cctv cameras from using IR facial recognition. Standard sunglass lenses are transparent to infrared.
I am looking to make a DIY version of commercially available privacy sunglasses. The purpose of these glasses is to prevent cctv cameras from using IR facial recognition.

Standard sunglass lenses are transparent to infrared. To circumvent this, the lenses have the ability to absorb IR light. Also, the frames have highly reflective infrared properties, while appearing matte/dull in the visible spectrum. I am guessing that since most cctv ir emitters produce light in the ~850/940nm range, this is the portion of the electromagnetic spectrum at play here.

The commercially available options seem a bit pricey at over 150 USD a pair,, so I'm looking for a diy option. To do this I plan on taking consumer sunglasses and 1) spraying the frame with an IR reflective/invisible to humans coating and 2) placing an IR absorbing film over the lenses. Any ideas on what type of materials I am looking for?

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org

That sounds like a really interesting project! Have you considered using reflective window film for cars? It's designed to reflect infrared light and can be easily applied to surfaces like sunglasses frames. As for the IR absorbing film, you could try using a material called "IR shield" which is commonly used for DIY infrared camera filters. It's a thin, flexible film that can be cut to size and applied to the lenses. Just make sure to do some research and testing to ensure that the materials you choose are effective at blocking IR light in the specific wavelength range you mentioned. Good luck with your DIY privacy sunglasses!

What materials do I need to make DIY privacy shades?

To make your own IR-blocking sunglasses, you will need a pair of sunglasses with polarized lenses, a roll of IR-blocking film, scissors, and a heat gun or hair dryer.

How do I apply the IR-blocking film to my sunglasses?

Start by cleaning the lenses of your sunglasses with a microfiber cloth. Then, cut the IR-blocking film to fit the lenses of your sunglasses. Use the heat gun or hair dryer to warm up the film and carefully apply it to the lenses, smoothing out any air bubbles.

Will these DIY privacy shades block all infrared light?

No, these DIY privacy shades will not block all infrared light. They will only block a portion of it, depending on the thickness of the IR-blocking film used. Thicker film will block more infrared light, but may also affect the clarity of your vision.

Can I use any type of sunglasses to make DIY privacy shades?

Yes, you can use any type of sunglasses with polarized lenses to make DIY privacy shades. However, it is recommended to use sunglasses with larger lenses to ensure full coverage and protection from infrared light.

Are these DIY privacy shades safe to use?

Yes, these DIY privacy shades are safe to use as long as they are applied correctly and do not obstruct your vision. However, it is important to note that they may not provide the same level of protection as professionally-made IR-blocking sunglasses.

Back