Do different colors of light travel at different speeds?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Moe_the_Genius
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Light
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 4K views
Moe_the_Genius
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Hi,
Are the speeds of all different colors of light exactly the same? And has this been done experimentally? Have they actually let colors into a system where it calculated its speed. (I know that Albert Michelson measured the speed of pure light_I just don't know if he or anyone else has done the same thing experimentally with light colors) Is there a site where I can find info on this?
Thanks a lot,
Mohammad
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes the speed of light is indepentent of frequency (color). Yes it is well verified. Ever hear of a Laser?
 
Don't some VSL theories state that there are tiny differences between say red and purple light? So tiny that we can't measure them (yet?).

-Glenn
 
Integral said:
Ever hear of a Laser?
What about it? I believe that the speed of light and laser vary by a tiny amount (and I believe that is significant in studying Physics). Is that right? I need expert confirmation on this.
 
Moe_the_Genius said:
I believe that the speed of light and laser vary by a tiny amount (and I believe that is significant in studying Physics). Is that right?
No, it's not. The light produced in a laser travels at the same speed (in vacuum) as any other light.
 
Last edited:
Moe_the_Genius said:
What about it? I believe that the speed of light and laser vary by a tiny amount (and I believe that is significant in studying Physics). Is that right?
That's contradictory - if its a tiny amount, its not significant.
I need expert confirmation on this.
You got it!
 
Moe_the_Genius said:
What about it? I believe that the speed of light and laser vary by a tiny amount (and I believe that is significant in studying Physics). Is that right? I need expert confirmation on this.

Look at it this way,like a person who's got good logics,but doesn't know physics at all:
"If laser woudn't travel at the speed of light,why did they call it "LASER" (apud L.A.S.E.R.) ?"

Daniel.
 
Glenn said:
Don't some VSL theories ...

based on such a premise, i would be skeptical.

r b-j
 
Moe_the_Genius said:
What about it? I believe that the speed of light and laser vary by a tiny amount (and I believe that is significant in studying Physics). Is that right? I need expert confirmation on this.

There is no difference if propagation takes place in a vacuum, where the refractive index is 1 for all wavelength.

If it travels in another medium, the refractive index is generally not 1, and varies with wavelength. This variation is called the dispersion relation. Air can be considered as such a medium, but it is sufficiently close to vacuum in most cases (1.00...something...).

The atmosphere is composed of various air compositions depending on location and time, so its exact dispersion relation is not trivial.