Do equipotential lines fall on the equiprobability contours?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 2K views
Mikheal
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
Are equipotential lines fall on the equiprobability contours of charge distribution?
For 2D charge distribution ρ(x,y)=Ne PDF(x,y), where PDF is the normalized probability density function with its peak on (0,0) and has standard deviations σ x. and σ y. Are the contours with the equal probability "PDF(x,y)=const" the same as the equipotiential contours?, I tend to think that near the core of the distribution, they will be similar, and as the distance from the core increases, the equipotential surfaces will be circles for σx=σy.

Edit 1: I am speaking in general, not about certain particle distribution functions, such as 2D Gaussian with different σ x and σ y, 2D bi-Gaussian, 2D super-Gaussian, Flat-top, ....

Edit 2: I know that for 2D Gaussian with σ x = σ y, they fall on each other.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is NDF a Gaussian? Your question needs to be a little bit more definitive.