1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do Graduate schools care about length of undergraduate career

1. Jul 19, 2015 #1
    Hey PF,

I'm currently double majoring in engineering and physics. I want to be a licensed engineer and go on to grad school to study molecular engineering or something similar. However, I love my physics department. It's smaller so students get more funding and attention and way more opportunities with less competition. The way things are going, it will take me about 5 years to graduate (and that's if more than one class for a course is offered each semester--small school :/ ). Would graduate schools care if I take more than four years to complete my undergrad career? Would they provide less funding?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2015 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No, not in that case. Taking five years to do a double major is fine.

What they look out for, if anything at all, is someone who is playing the game - trying to bolster marks by reducing workload, or who simply can't handle a full undergraduate workload successfully. Even then, the fact that someone takes more time can have all sorts of reasons. Maybe the student has a family to provide for. Maybe the student has a disability. Maybe the student didn't decide on a major until later or needed an extra year to figure out what field he or she really wanted to pursue for graduate studies. These, and yours are legitimate reasons for stretching an undergraduate degree out.

4. Jul 19, 2015 #3
    Thanks! I could have already started taking classes in engineering but I was afraid that I wouldn't graduate with my friends or being afraid of what they would think. I started to realize that I was putting peers before education and that it was an insecure, immature thought.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook