1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do graduate schools (Physics) care if youre a 5th year undergrad?

1. Jun 25, 2011 #1
    Title says it all. I've heard some schools don't like 5th year undergrads, is there a general truth to this from what you guys have heard, if you ever have?

Thanks ^^

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2011 #2
    I should also mention I'm a double major.

4. Jun 26, 2011 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There's no truth to it that I'm aware of.

Of course, a lot can depend on circumstances. If you took 5 years to complete your undergrad because you flunked out or had to repeat a few courses, that's not going to look good on your application. If you took 5 years because you had to work full time to afford it, took more than a standard number of courses, or did a co-op program, it's unlikely to have any bearing on the application.

5. Jun 28, 2011 #4

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Getting a degree in 4 years is starting to sound quaint. Here in California, students at state schools can't get the courses they need to graduate in 4 years, simply due to the state budget crisis. It kills me when students work 40 hours a week and take 22 units, on the theory that they "can't be in school forever" -- then they fail half their classes and have to repeat them.

6. Jun 28, 2011 #5
    I don't think graduate schools care, and it's far better to do it in 5 years with a solid degree then try to rush things in 4 years and then have a less than stellar application.

7. Jun 28, 2011 #6
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I've heard a load of bullocks then. I figured completion time doesn't matter as much as how your grades, GRE, which courses you've taken (grad courses perhaps), etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook