Do humans increase Entropy at a faster rate?

In summary: Is there anything stopping the universe from reaching thermal equilibrium?In summary, the entropy of the universe is not going to change drastically no matter what level of entropy is present, but it will still increase over time.
quantumfunction
Do systems further away from equilibrium increase entropy faster than a system with a high level of entropy and does this increase push the universe towards thermal equilibrium faster. Is there anything stopping the universe from reaching thermal equilibrium?

Science news on Phys.org
Humans, and living things in general, are an organizing influence - i.e. "local" entropy changes tend to be negative.
Overall, the net change in entropy is going to be positive, and it will be a bigger positive number than if the life were not present.
On the scale of the Universe, the human impact entropy change is not detectable.

I don't know of anything in mainstream models that opposes the laws of thermodynamics.

Simon Bridge said:
Humans, and living things in general, are an organizing influence - i.e. "local" entropy changes tend to be negative.
Overall, the net change in entropy is going to be positive, and it will be a bigger positive number than if the life were not present.
On the scale of the Universe, the human impact entropy change is not detectable.

I don't know of anything in mainstream models that opposes the laws of thermodynamics.

Thanks for the response and this is the answer I was looking for. So what has a greater overall increase of entropy for the universe, low entropy dissipative system or a system with a higher level of entropy? Is this knowable?

Last edited:
You mean "Does the rate of change in entropy depend on the current entropy level?"
I think the answer is "it depends". You could probably set up two systems that fit your description and have the same rate of change.

Simon Bridge said:
You mean "Does the rate of change in entropy depend on the current entropy level?"
I think the answer is "it depends". You could probably set up two systems that fit your description and have the same rate of change.

Thanks for the responses, they helped!

Low entropy mean large energy differences. Diffusion equation cannot works unlimited. Large energy differences makes flows that are more productive but have less entropy, because is organizing. Some say that the life is a more productive physical way to the total equilibrium.

1. How do humans contribute to the increase in Entropy?

Humans contribute to the increase in Entropy by utilizing energy and resources to power our daily activities and meet our needs. This energy is eventually released as heat, which increases the overall Entropy of the system.

2. Is Entropy always increasing in human systems?

Yes, Entropy is always increasing in human systems. This is due to the fact that we are constantly using energy and resources, which leads to an increase in disorder and randomness.

3. Can humans slow down the rate of Entropy increase?

While humans cannot completely stop the increase in Entropy, we can slow it down by finding more efficient and sustainable ways to use energy and resources. This can help to reduce the amount of waste and disorder produced.

4. How does the increase in Entropy affect the environment?

The increase in Entropy caused by human activities can have a negative impact on the environment. This can lead to issues such as pollution, climate change, and depletion of natural resources.

5. Is there a way to reverse the increase in Entropy?

No, the Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the Entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. However, we can work towards maintaining a balance and minimizing the negative effects of Entropy on our environment and society.