1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do I need a function to show a bijection between intervals?

1. Sep 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to prove that [0,1) and (0,1] have the same cardinality. My question is, do I have to define a function from [0,1) → (0,1] in order to show a correspondence or is there another method?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's actually a very simple bijection in this case. (Hint: most of the points can simply be mapped to themselves.)

More interesting is to find one between (0,1) and [0,1].

4. Sep 28, 2012 #3
    Would f(x)=1/1+x work? How would I find a bijection for the intervals you mentioned?

5. Sep 28, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, f(x) = 1/1+x = 1 + x would not work, but f(x) = 1/(1+x) would be OK. Use brackets!

RGV

6. Sep 28, 2012 #5
    Oh yeah, that's what I meant :smile:

In regards to the interval (whether open or closed), how can I be sure that the function will works as a bijection?

7. Sep 28, 2012 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you can find an inverse function, then it's a bijection. To do that, put y = 1 / (1 + x) and try solving for x in terms of y.

There's also a much simpler solution if you consider the hint I mentioned above.

[edit] Wait a minute. Who says 1 / (1 + x) will work? It maps [0, 1) to (1/2, 1], not (0, 1]. You'll have to modify it slightly to get (0,1] as the image.

8. Sep 28, 2012 #7
    jbunniii- How did you know that 1/(1+x) maps [0,1) to (1/2,1] and not (0,1]?

And is the function you were hinting about f(x)=x+1?

9. Sep 28, 2012 #8

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If 0 <= x < 1, then 1 <= 1+x < 2, so 1/2 < 1/(1+x) <= 1.

If 0 <= x < 1, then 1 <= x+1 < 2, so that won't work. If you put change it slightly by putting a negative sign in the right place, it will work.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  10. Sep 28, 2012 #9
    I understand now, and the function you were referring to is f(x)=-x+1.

11. Sep 28, 2012 #10

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yep. Here's an even easier one, the one I was thinking of initially:

[tex]f(x) = \begin{cases}
    1 & \text{if }x = 0 \\
    x & \text{if }x \neq 0
    \end{cases}
    [/tex]
    By the way, if you want a challenge, I highly recommend trying to come up with a bijection between (0,1) and [0,1]. Hint: you know it can't be a continuous function because such a function would have to preserve open and closed sets.

12. Sep 28, 2012 #11
    Cool, I didn't think of that. I am actually working on that now. I have to show that [0,1] has the same cardinality as (0,1).
    I have a mapping:
    0 to 1/2
    1 to 1/3
    1/2 to 1/4
    etc.
    So f(x)=1/2, if x=0
    f(x)=1/(x+2), if x=1/n for positive integers n >= 1
    and f(x)=x for all other x.
    Is it correct syntax if I write it as a piece wise function?

f(x)={1/(x+2), if x is in N[itex]\cup[/itex]{0}
    x, for all other x
    I'm not sure how to word that last part (f(x)=x).

Edit:
    This seems cleaner:

f(x)={1/(x+2), for x in NU{0}
    x, for x in ℝ\ NU{0}

Where N denotes the set of all positive integers.
    That seems cleaner.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  13. Sep 28, 2012 #12

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Careful with your formula. For example, if x = 1/3, your formula gives f(1/3) = 1/(1/3 + 2) = 1/(7/3) = 3/7, which is not what you want. Instead, you could write [itex]f(1/n) = 1/(n+2)[/itex] for all [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], [itex]f(0) = 1/2[/itex], and [itex]f(x) = x[/itex] for all other [itex]x[/itex].

No, your "if x is in [itex]\mathbb{N} \cup \{0\}[/itex]" is wrong. That set is [itex]\{0, 1, 2, 3, \ldots)[/itex]. But most of these points are outside your domain, which is [itex][0,1][/itex]

Similar problem here.

14. Sep 28, 2012 #13
    I see my mistakes. If I use f(1/n) and f(x), then I wouldn't write it in the format used for piecewise functions?

Also, to show the bijection, would I need to go through proving surjectivity/injectivity?

15. Sep 28, 2012 #14

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you will still need a piecewise definition. It's hard to imagine a single formula working for all x. If you want to write it all in terms of f(x), you could put something like
    [tex]
    f(x) = \begin{cases}
    \frac{1}{(1/x) + 2} & \text{if }x = 1/n \text{ for some }n \in \mathbb{N} \\
    1/2 & \text{if }x = 0 \\
    x & \text{otherwise}
    \end{cases}
    [/tex]
    Yes, you should prove this. You could do this by showing that [itex]f[/itex] has an inverse.

16. Sep 29, 2012 #15
    Okay, I did it. I let g be the inverse of f, defined by:

g: (0,1)→[0,1]

g(x)= { 0, if x=1/2
    [itex]\frac{1}{(1/x)-2}[/itex] , if x=1/n for n[itex]\in[/itex] N
    x, for all other x

Then I would prove that it's an inverse by composing g[itex]\circ[/itex]f and f[itex]\circ[/itex]g

Does that look fine?

Thanks.

17. Sep 29, 2012 #16

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks almost right, except the middle case is only valid for n >= 3. The first case handles n = 2. And n = 1 is outside the function's domain.

18. Sep 29, 2012 #17
    Oh yeah, I had that written down but completely missed it. Thank you for all your help :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook