Do I Perceive an Induced E Field in Free Fall Next to a Falling Line Charge?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter cragar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Field Induced
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
cragar
Messages
2,546
Reaction score
3
Lets say I have an infinite line charge. And I am standing next to it and then we both go into free fall towards earth. The line charge is falling vertically towards earth. In my frame It feels like I am floating in free space. But to someone on the ground they see an increasing current so this changing B field should induce an E field. In my free fall do I perceive the induced E field that is in the direction of increasing current? And obviously there is a static E field from the line charge.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No. In your frame,you don't percieve the induced emf if u and the line chare are both falling at same speed(i am assuming it a free fall. In this case the line charge is static w.r.t you and hence no change in magnetic field in your frame and u don't percieve the induced emf.


(Note:- some areas of electrodynamics doesn't support special relativity as shown recently in a paper.)