Do Moving Charges Create or Induce Magnetic Fields?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of induction and whether moving charges create or induce magnetic fields around them. The expert explains that induction is a phenomenon where the behavior of one object depends on another object, but the surrounding environment plays no role. They argue that moving charges create, rather than induce, magnetic fields. The expert also mentions that electric and magnetic fields are part of the same object, the electromagnetic tensor, and that particles do not induce fields but have a measurable physical quantity that determines their coupling with these fields. The conversation also touches on Faraday's experiment and the concept of induced fields.
rohit dutta
Do moving charges 'create' or 'induce' magnetic field around them?

I believe that induction is a phenomenon in which the behavior of one object depends on the behavior of another object provided they interact with each other. In this case, the moving charge is just surrounded by air or vacuum which plays no role in the process of induction. I thus say that moving charges create(and don't induce)magnetic field around them. Any corrections is most welcome.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
In fact the electric field and magnetic field are parts of the same object "electromagnetic tensor" so in a frame where the charge is at rest we see only the electric part but in an other frame where the charge moves we see the two parts. I hope that helps
Thank you

Yes I completely understand what you are trying to say. But I'm trying understand the difference between what an induced and a created(generated) field is.

Dear
In my opinion, all fields exist, they are not generated or induced by the charges (in general). The charge is a measurable physical quantity giving the coupling of the particle with these fields. It did not induce the field. I invite you to think about how particles acquire an electric charge.
Thank you to read

In Faraday's famous experiment, a changing magnetic flux through a conducting loop did 'induce' an opposing magnetic field didn't it? Well, I've gone off topic to talk about induced fields. I agree with you about the existing fields around a charge.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Related to Do Moving Charges Create or Induce Magnetic Fields?

1. How do moving charges create magnetic fields?

Moving charges create magnetic fields because they have a magnetic property called spin, which is a type of angular momentum. When a charge moves, its spin causes it to generate a magnetic field around it.

2. Do all moving charges create magnetic fields?

Yes, all moving charges create magnetic fields. However, the strength and direction of the magnetic field depends on the speed and direction of the charge's movement.

3. Can magnetic fields be created without moving charges?

No, magnetic fields can only be created by moving charges. This is because the magnetic property of spin is only present in moving charges.

4. How do moving charges induce magnetic fields?

Moving charges can induce magnetic fields in two ways: through electromagnetism and through relativity. In electromagnetism, a changing electric field can induce a magnetic field, and vice versa. In relativity, a moving charge causes a distortion in the fabric of space-time, which results in a magnetic field.

5. Can magnetic fields be turned on and off?

Yes, magnetic fields can be turned on and off by controlling the movement of charges. For example, in an electromagnet, the magnetic field can be turned on by passing an electric current through a coil of wire, which creates a magnetic field. The field can then be turned off by stopping the current.