My made solenoid doesnt induce magnetic field. What did I miss?

In summary, the individual is looking for a solenoid to induce a magnetic field for a school project. They made a solenoid using a thin, brown wire and tested it with a 6V DC power supply, but it did not produce a magnetic field. They then experimented with connecting a LED and a 1.5V DC power supply to the wire, but the LED did not glow. After realizing the wire was insulated, they scraped off the insulation and the solenoid worked properly. They also received the suggestion to use regular insulated copper wire for better connections.
akamine
Hey, I have a school project and I need a solenoid to induce a magnetic field.
http://www.yourpicbox.com/images/orhBIhKZq6426.jpg
I made a solenoid by winding a wire (I'm not sure what to call this wire. It's thin and brown.) to a pen case. I made 3 layers, 100-200 turns each.
When I tested it, connecting it to 6V DC, nothing happened. No magnet.

So I experimented other thing :
I connect a LED and 1.5V DC with this wire. LED didnt glow.
Then I change this wire with ordinary insulated copper wire. The LED glow brightly.

It seems that this wire doesn't conduct any current. What did I miss here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
A solenoid like that can quickly drain power from the battery. Try another battery, or another power supply. Also, did you scrape the insulation on the wire when connecting to the battery?

Yes it sounds like you just haven't made proper connection to the ends of the wire. It often can be quite tricky to make a good electrical connection to enamelled wire. I recommend that you try the following procedure :

1. Burn off the insulation near the ends with a cigarette lighter.

2. Scrap away the burnt enamel with steel wool until you see shiny copper visible.

3. Solder short pieces of regular insulated copper wire (preferably "tinned" though it's not essential) to the ends where you're cleaned off the enamel. You'll find that this regular type wire is much easier to work with and make connection to your battery or other circuitry. Also, if you get the solder to stick well then you know the enamel is properly removed and the connections will be good.

As an alternative, it's also easy to scrape the insulation with sand paper.

thanks
I did not know the wire is insulated.
It works just fine after I scrap it :)
many thanks

akamine said:
thanks
I did not know the wire is insulated.

Think about it, if that wire wasn't insulated then all the turns would be touching each other and all you'd end up with is a big short circuit. :)

1. Why is my solenoid not inducing a magnetic field?

There could be several reasons for this. It is possible that there is a problem with the design or construction of the solenoid, such as incorrect winding direction or insufficient number of turns. It could also be due to the material used for the core of the solenoid, as some materials are not suitable for creating a magnetic field. Additionally, the power source being used may not be strong enough to create a magnetic field.

2. How can I test if my solenoid is inducing a magnetic field?

One way to test this is by using a compass. Place the compass near the solenoid and observe if the needle moves. If it does, this indicates that the solenoid is creating a magnetic field. Another method is to use a gaussmeter, which can measure the strength of a magnetic field.

3. Can a faulty connection be the reason for my solenoid not inducing a magnetic field?

Yes, a faulty connection can prevent the flow of current through the solenoid, which is necessary for creating a magnetic field. Make sure to check all connections and ensure they are secure and properly connected.

4. Is the size of the solenoid important for inducing a magnetic field?

The size of the solenoid can affect its ability to induce a magnetic field. Generally, a longer solenoid with more turns will produce a stronger magnetic field. However, the size alone is not the determining factor and other factors such as the material used and the current flowing through the solenoid also play a role.

5. What should I do if my solenoid is still not inducing a magnetic field after checking all possible causes?

If you have checked all the possible causes and your solenoid is still not inducing a magnetic field, it is possible that the solenoid itself is faulty. You may need to troubleshoot or replace the solenoid to resolve the issue.