Do Photons Coexist in the Same Space?

• Thread starter Aelof
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary: The theory behind time dilation , as interpreted by me, is that since light is at light speed, it is stuck in time.This means that the distance between "lights" point of view is null, which could lead to some interesting consequences. For instance, it is possible that photons coexist within the same space, which would mean that every photon shares the same existence. Additionally, the theory states that two units of matter cannot occupy the same space, which could lead to some issues with coexisting particles. However, all of this is theoretical at this point and has not been observed in practice.
Aelof
Lately, I've been reading over the theories of relativity and special relativity and the impossibility of reaching the speed of light. I found all of this fascinating, and so I kept on in my studies. I then began taking a closer look at time dilation. The theory behind time dilation , as interpreted by me, is that since light is at light speed, it is stuck in time. This bothered me further when I read that objects going at the speed of light are supposed to flatten and squish until they are infinitely thin (this was backed up by one of Einsteins equations). The point about that that bothered me, is that no two units of matter may coexist in the same space. If light its stuck in time, then the distances from "lights" point of view are null. This would mean that every photon coexists within the same space. Does that mean that there is only one photon that we all share? Or am I just missing some blatantly obvious point.

Physics news on Phys.org
This bothered me further when I read that objects going at the speed of light are supposed to flatten and squish until they are infinitely thin (this was backed up by one of Einsteins equations). ...
Or am I just missing some blatantly obvious point.
It seems you've missed the main point "the impossibility of reaching the speed of light". No material body will ever be observed to reach the speed of light from any frame of reference. All matter will appear to be traveling at v < c, and light will always be traveling at c from every point of view.

Things do look squished from a moving frame, but never 'infinitely' thin.

The theory behind time dilation , as interpreted by me, is that since light is at light speed, it is stuck in time.
What does this mean ? On reflection, I know that it is meaningless, so no need to explain.

I suggest you read through some of the threads in the forum where these issues are discussed. You've jumped to some weird conclusions.

If light its stuck in time, then the distances from "lights" point of view are null.
Light does not have a "point of view" nor "fframe of reference"- so the rest of what you say is moot.

Aelof said:
The point about that that bothered me, is that no two units of matter may coexist in the same space.

That's not entirely true. The particles that matter is typically comprised of, called fermions, must obey the Pauli Exclusion Principle, which means they cannot have the same quantum state. These particles have half integer spin (1/2,3/2, etc)

There is another kind of particle, called a boson, and two bosons may indeed occupy the same quantum state. Photons happen to be bosons, and so there is no worry about them occupying the same space. Bosons have integer spin.

(Furthermore, composites of fermions can be bosons; for instance, atoms, though they are made of fermions, can be bosons, which is why they can form Bose-Einstein Condensates.)

Related to Do Photons Coexist in the Same Space?

1. What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is made up of tiny particles called photons that travel in waves and can be seen as different colors depending on their wavelengths.

2. How does light travel?

Light travels in a straight line at a constant speed of 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. It can also travel through certain materials, such as air and water, but at a slightly slower speed.

3. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum, which is also known as the speed of light in a vacuum. This is the fastest speed at which anything in the universe can travel.

4. How does light interact with matter?

Light can interact with matter in several ways, including reflection, refraction, and absorption. When light hits an object, it can be reflected off its surface, bent as it passes through a material, or absorbed by the object's atoms and converted into heat.

5. How does light allow us to see?

When light enters our eyes, it passes through the cornea and then the lens, which focuses the light onto the retina. The retina contains cells called photoreceptors that convert the light into electrical signals, which are then sent to the brain for interpretation, allowing us to see the world around us.