Do photons, phonons and electrons have mass?

In summary: I'm sorry but I don't understand this sentence. Besides, pair production involves at least two particles, so it can't be a photon.
SSG-E
Poster has been reminded to always show their efforts and links to their reading when asking for help understanding a concept.
TL;DR Summary
Do photons, phonons and electrons have mass?
These articles have energy but do they have mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
SSG-E said:
Summary:: Do photons, phonons and electrons have mass?

What does ##m_e## usually refer to?

Likes Vanadium 50
berkeman said:
What does ##m_e## usually refer to?
?

SSG-E said:
?
Copy/paste your thread title into a Google search. Then do some reading in the search results. That should answer the ##m_e## part. You will likely still have a few questions about the mass of a photon and phonon, so reply with links to your reading and ask *specific* questions about that reading so that we can help you. Thank you.

Likes Dragrath, TeethWhitener, Joshy and 4 others
{crickets}...

Likes jim mcnamara, Daanh, jbriggs444 and 2 others
Phonons? You mean lattice vibrations?

berkeman said:
{crickets}...
It means electron rest mass. But an electron can't be at rest so how it has rest mass?

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
SSG-E said:
It means electron rest mass. But an electron can't be at rest so how it has rest mass?
You are confusing electrons and photons. Can you post links to the reading you've been doing? That will help us to help you. :smile:

berkeman said:
You are confusing electrons and photons. Can you post links to the reading you've been doing? That will help us to help you. :smile:
I know the differences between electrons and photons. I just replied about the symbol 'me'. So the correction is: A photon can't be at rest so how it has rest mass? Is 0 considered mass?

SSG-E said:
A photon can't be at rest so how it has rest mass?
Where are you reading that?

berkeman said:
Where are you reading that?
I have yet read at many websites and watched you tube videos.

SSG-E said:
I have yet read at many websites and watched you tube videos.
Please post a link to such a source and highlight where they say a photon has rest mass...

berkeman said:
Electrons don't come at rest. Electron rest mass is the mass of an electron as measured when its speed is zero relative to an observer. A photon never comes at rest thus its rest mass is 0. But why can't be the rest mass of a photon be measured when its speed is zero relative to the observer?

SSG-E said:
But why can't be the rest mass of a photon be measured when its speed is zero relative to the observer?
Because photons move at velocity c (the speed of light) relative to all observers. They never appear at rest to any observers. There are probably some Insights articles that we can point you to. Back in a minute...

berkeman said:
Because photons move at velocity c (the speed of light) relative to all observers.
Not always i.e. inside glass they are moving slower,and inside heavy water of a nuclear reactor very slow.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
binis said:
and inside heavy water of a nuclear reactor very slow.

You've made that up, probably mixing and confusing several unrelated concepts. For most practical purposes the difference between the speed of light in water and heavy water is negligible, close to 0.75c.

Likes nasu
Borek said:
For most practical purposes the difference between the speed of light in water and heavy water is negligible, close to 0.75c.
You have right,might be inside the core,not in heavy water.

binis said:
Not always

Electromagnetic waves move slower in medium, but that says nothing about photons which are particular states of quantum electromagnetic field. Viewing EM waves as stream of bullet-like particles that slow down in medium is not a good idea.

Likes Dragrath, dextercioby, etotheipi and 1 other person
binis said:
You have right,might be inside the core,not in heavy water.

You are still making that up.

Likes nasu
weirdoguy said:
Electromagnetic waves move slower in medium, but that says nothing about photons which are particular states of quantum electromagnetic field. Viewing EM waves as stream of bullet-like particles that slow down in medium is not a good idea.
A static EM field is practicaly not extending to infinite (math function has a definition field);how can EM waves do it,except viewing them as traveling particles? Moreover,you know that pair production is of one gamma-photon,not of a quantum EM field.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
binis said:
A static EM field is practicaly not extending to infinite (math function has a definition field);how can EM waves do it,except viewing them as traveling particles?

How EM waves can do what? In your first sentence you wrote about static EM fields, EM waves are not static. Anyways, there are plenty of threads on PF about what photons are, and what they are not. For example this one: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-a-photon.879128/ Take your time because it's not an easy topic and a lot of misconceptions circle around.

binis said:
Moreover,you know that pair production is of one gamma-photon,not of a quantum EM field.

I'm sorry but I don't understand this sentence. Besides, pair production involves at least two photons.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Dragrath, bhobba and binis
binis said:
A static EM field is practicaly not extending to infinite (math function has a definition field);how can EM waves do it,except viewing them as traveling particles? Moreover,you know that pair production is of one gamma-photon,not of a quantum EM field.
I'm not sure what you mean here, but I'm sure it won't help OP understand the concept of mass, so I don't think it's a good idea to continue that.

Likes Dragrath and bhobba
SSG-E said:

If by "mass" you mean rest mass, then electrons do have it, photons do not, and for phonons, AFAIK, the question isn't well-defined since phonons are not fundamental particles.

SSG-E said:
why can't be the rest mass of a photon be measured when its speed is zero relative to the observer?

Because a photon can never be at rest relative to any observer. It moves at ##c## relative to all observers.

binis said:
You can think of light moving through matter as photons slamming into atoms, being absorbed and then being emitted again, many times over. This process has the effect of slowing down the propagation of the wave as a whole but each individual photon still moves at c while being scattered from atom to atom, it's just that this whole process makes it take longer to get to the other side of the material.

• Skeptical
Likes nasu and binis
AndreasC said:
being absorbed and then being emitted again
Isn't this the fluorescent effect?

binis said:

No, that's not what @AndreasC was describing. He was simply describing one heuristic way of explaining why light appears to slow down when passing through a material medium as compared to vacuum.

binis said:
I guess it is a kind of fluorescence. I am not sure though if the term is 100% accurate when applied here. Basically what happens when light is scattered is that it is absorbed by electrons, launching them temporarily to an excited state. But that state is unstable, so soon enough the electrons fall back to their stable state by emitting photons. Usually that changes the energy of the photons to something lower than the original. The fluorescence you probably have in mind is when that frequency is much lower. Then materials re-emit UV light as regular light that we can see. There is also phosphorescence where the electrons are stable enough in their excited states to emit the photons much later.

Likes binis
PeterDonis said:
No, that's not what @AndreasC was describing. He was simply describing one heuristic way of explaining why light appears to slow down when passing through a material medium as compared to vacuum.
I might have a gap in my understanding, is it not strictly true that photons are absorbed and emitted again while passing through a material or is it just a heuristic that is onyl partially true?

Likes binis
AndreasC said:
this whole process makes it take longer to get to the other side of the material.
Divide mentally material in layers. So there is a slight delay from layer to layer.Therefore this delay must appears as a slowing of the speed of light INSIDE the medium: But,light speed remains constant inside a medium.

AndreasC said:
I am not sure though if the term is 100% accurate when applied here.

It isn't.

AndreasC said:
is it just a heuristic that is onyl partially true?

Yes.

binis said:
Divide mentally material in layers. So there is a slight delay from layer to layer.

As noted, this is a heuristic picture. It's not 100% accurate.

binis said:
light speed remains constant inside a medium.

In the sense that photons still have zero rest mass inside a medium, to the extent the "photon" concept makes sense inside a medium, yes.

AndreasC said:
But that state is unstable, so soon enough the electrons fall back to their stable state by emitting photons. Usually that changes the energy of the photons to something lower than the original.
Has the emitted photon a longer wavelength? There must be a little loss of energy because the ray is totally absorbed by the material at last if width is quite long (Lambert's law).

<h2>1. Do photons have mass?</h2><p>No, photons do not have mass. They are considered to be massless particles because they travel at the speed of light and have zero rest mass.</p><h2>2. Do phonons have mass?</h2><p>Phonons are quasiparticles that represent the collective motion of atoms in a solid material. They do not have mass in the traditional sense, but they do have a measurable mass-like property called effective mass.</p><h2>3. Do electrons have mass?</h2><p>Yes, electrons do have mass. They are fundamental particles with a rest mass of approximately 9.11 x 10^-31 kilograms.</p><h2>4. How does the mass of photons, phonons, and electrons affect their behavior?</h2><p>The mass of a particle can affect its behavior in various ways. For example, the mass of an electron determines its inertia and how it responds to external forces. The mass of a photon is related to its energy and wavelength, and the mass of a phonon affects its propagation speed in a material.</p><h2>5. Can photons, phonons, and electrons change mass?</h2><p>Photons and phonons do not have mass in the traditional sense, so they cannot change mass. However, electrons can gain or lose mass through interactions with other particles, such as in particle collisions or through the Higgs mechanism in the Standard Model of particle physics.</p>

1. Do photons have mass?

No, photons do not have mass. They are considered to be massless particles because they travel at the speed of light and have zero rest mass.

2. Do phonons have mass?

Phonons are quasiparticles that represent the collective motion of atoms in a solid material. They do not have mass in the traditional sense, but they do have a measurable mass-like property called effective mass.

3. Do electrons have mass?

Yes, electrons do have mass. They are fundamental particles with a rest mass of approximately 9.11 x 10^-31 kilograms.

4. How does the mass of photons, phonons, and electrons affect their behavior?

The mass of a particle can affect its behavior in various ways. For example, the mass of an electron determines its inertia and how it responds to external forces. The mass of a photon is related to its energy and wavelength, and the mass of a phonon affects its propagation speed in a material.

5. Can photons, phonons, and electrons change mass?

Photons and phonons do not have mass in the traditional sense, so they cannot change mass. However, electrons can gain or lose mass through interactions with other particles, such as in particle collisions or through the Higgs mechanism in the Standard Model of particle physics.