1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do the EE electives I take in my last year matter?

1. Jul 14, 2011 #1
    In my last year of electrical engineering, I will have the freedom and option of taking 5-6 courses from this long exhaustive list of electives:
    http://www.ece.ubc.ca/sites/default/files/ElectricalEngineering Electives 2011.pdf"

My question is, do the courses I take, specifically those electives, matter to employers? Are they more inclined to hire a student who has taken industry-relevant courses? Should I take just for exposure to different fields or should I concentrate in an area I like? I am still fairly elementary in my undergrad engineering career (just finished 2nd year) so I would like some guidance.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Yes, I would look at your electives, if you pointed them out to me as being relevant to the job position that you were applying for. Especially lab classes where you get practical experience building/testing things that are relevant to the position.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook