Do types of electro magnetic radiation exist that we can not detect?

In summary: So while it is theoretically possible for black holes to emit radiation at frequencies we can't detect, the chances of this happening are quite low.
magpies
Basically what I am wondering is if types of electro magnetic radiation exist that are on a wavelenght or frequency that we can't detect with our technology?

My follow up question would be is it possible black holes give off that type of radiation? I suspect the answer I'll get from most people is nothing can be given off by black holes and to that I would say perhaps it works like hawking radiation.

Physics news on Phys.org
As of this posting, no undetectable electromagnetic radiation has been detected.

Phrak said:
As of this posting, no undetectable electromagnetic radiation has been detected.

:rofl:

Phrak said:

/shiftyeyes...

From what I have read, generally speaking, the higher energy electromagnetic radiation interacts much less than lower energy radiation. Case in point are x-rays which will readily pass through our meatbag bodies with little scattering (outside of highly dense things like bones and errant surgical tools). So very very high energy radiation may be very difficult to detect due to the low incidence of interaction. However, generally when such high energy waves do interact, they do so in a rather spectacular fashion. Case in point, when you have yourself many many x-rays your DNA seems to have little hissy fits. Another example are the cosmic rays that interact in our atmosphere, they generally decompose into various particles like you would see in a particle accelerator. So while we may have a harder time detecting the radiation directly, we probably can easily perceive the consequences of their interaction with particles.

So is that what thouse underground experiments looking for dark energy do?

magpies said:
So is that what thouse underground experiments looking for dark energy do?

something to do with cosmic neutrinos and flavors, sounds like an ice cream parlor, hey! is that where the research money goes? new flavors of desert :D

Yeah, the underground experiments that I know of, apart from the various particle accelerators that are put underground, are for neutrino detections. I think I recall that Fermi Lab has an experiment in a Minnesota mine that detects neutrinos from their accelerator. That is, the accelerator emits neutrinos in Batavia, IL and they have plates of a battleship's worth of iron hundreds of miles away that the neutrinos hit and interact with.

1) Just so we're clear, neutrinos are not electromagnetic radiation. Different beast entirely.

2) There are no different types of electromagnetic radiation. All distinctions (x-ray, infrared, visible, gamma ray, radio, UV) are merely arbitrary distinctions created by humans. It would be like giving different names to a ball depending on how fast we throw it. Obviously, the ball is the same thing, just with a different amount of energy. EMR is analogous.

That said, like Bron2bwire mentions certain types of EMR are easier or harder for us to observe. So sure, perhaps we cannot detect emr with a wavelength of 1 light year. This does not imply it does not exist, nor does it imply that there is anything special about it.

As far as black holes are concerned, we can expect a stellar mass black hole to emit radiation with a wavelength on the scale of 10's of kilometers. For a SMBH, the characteristic wavelength of radiation is on the order of several AU. (Note this is hawking radiation, not radiation from an accretion disk.)

1. What is electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation is a form of energy that is produced by the movement of electrically charged particles. It is characterized by its wavelength and frequency, and includes a wide range of energy types such as radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

2. How do we detect electromagnetic radiation?

We detect electromagnetic radiation using specialized equipment such as telescopes, cameras, and sensors. Each type of radiation has a specific wavelength and frequency, and different equipment is designed to detect specific ranges of wavelengths. For example, telescopes are used to detect infrared and visible light, while X-rays can be detected using specialized cameras or sensors.

3. Are there types of electromagnetic radiation that we cannot detect?

Yes, there are types of electromagnetic radiation that we cannot detect with our current technology. For example, some types of very low frequency radiation, such as extremely low frequency (ELF) waves, cannot be detected by our eyes or standard electronic devices. Additionally, there may be forms of radiation that we have not yet discovered or developed the technology to detect.

4. How do we know that there are types of electromagnetic radiation that we cannot detect?

We know that there are types of electromagnetic radiation that we cannot detect because our current technology is limited in its ability to detect all forms of radiation. Additionally, scientific theories and experiments have shown that there are likely to be forms of radiation that exist outside of our current detection capabilities.

5. Can we develop technology to detect all types of electromagnetic radiation?

It is possible that we may be able to develop technology to detect all types of electromagnetic radiation in the future. However, this would require significant advancements in technology and scientific understanding. Additionally, there may be limitations to our ability to detect certain forms of radiation due to their extremely small wavelengths or frequencies.