Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you do reserch by your own?

1. Sep 13, 2012 #1
    [for high school students] surely I'm not talking about real research, but I just want to know if you try to solve advanced (physics or maths) problems or if you dedicate some time to study things that are not taught at class. And by "study" I don't mean HSW or popular science books (don't get me wrong, I'm not despising those sources of knowledge!!).

If yes, how did you started? which topics do you explore? I found this Gerard 't Hooft website (http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~hooft101/theorist.html), but it's too much stuff and I'm going to university soon. I just want to get in a topic so I can... speculate... practice... have fun!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2012 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I'd spend a Saturday and/or Sunday at the city public library or university library, or do problems from text books that I'd buy at a technical book store or university book store. During my undergrad years, I frequently bought extra text books for upper level or grad school courses.

4. Sep 13, 2012 #3
    reading journals is far more useful than doing textbook problems.

5. Sep 14, 2012 #4
    Finding out what you like is important. If it is "easy" (aka enjoyable) to read the articles, you are in the right place. If a certain topic excites you, read more about it.

Think about the biggest question you can and see where that leads you.

6. Sep 16, 2012 #5
    sorry for replying late, internet connection issues... Ok but you guys just follow (or used to) the program of your teacher or try to learn more advanced things by yourself? Not just for feeding your curiosity. More seriously.

7. Sep 16, 2012 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

While I'm not in high school anymore, and I don't attend college at the moment, I do learn a lot about science on my own and have done Exoplanet Transit Light Curves myself. I don't know if you'd call that research, but it's something I'd say.

8. Sep 17, 2012 #7
    It is more then what I do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook