Do you learn less in a double degree?

• Programs
  • Thread starter mitcho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the individual has a love for mathematics and is deciding between studying a mathematics degree on its own or a double degree in mathematics and applied science. They are concerned that the double degree may result in a lesser education in mathematics, but are also interested in the potential career opportunities it may open up. It is noted that the requirements for a double major may result in a shorter amount of time spent on mathematics, but the amount of math subjects taken ultimately depends on the individual's subject choices. It is also mentioned that the tertiary education system in Australia may differ from other countries, and the decision may also depend on the individual's preference for pure mathematics or applied mathematics.
mitcho
I have a love for mathematics and I want to be able to learn as much as I can and go as far as i can with it. I like it for its beauty and it absolutely fascinates me. I am currently in year 12 and have to apply for my university courses very soon. I have the option of studying a mathematics degree on its own or a double degree in mathematics and applied science. If i study the double degree, will i learn less about maths. I don't understand how you can have a degree in both in only 1 extra year. To me, the degree must miss some important stuff that you would otherwise get in a single degree? The main reason I want to do the double degree is to open up more career opportunities but I would prefer if it didn't take away from my maths education.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mitcho said:
I have a love for mathematics and I want to be able to learn as much as I can and go as far as i can with it. I like it for its beauty and it absolutely fascinates me. I am currently in year 12 and have to apply for my university courses very soon. I have the option of studying a mathematics degree on its own or a double degree in mathematics and applied science. If i study the double degree, will i learn less about maths. I don't understand how you can have a degree in both in only 1 extra year. To me, the degree must miss some important stuff that you would otherwise get in a single degree? The main reason I want to do the double degree is to open up more career opportunities but I would prefer if it didn't take away from my maths education.
Thanks.

That's generally right. I have a few friends who are double majoring in math and physics. By the time we graduate, we'll both have B.S.'s in math, but I will have an additional 36+ hours of coursework they will not because of the time constraints placed on them by having to fulfill two degree requirements. However, there are exceptions.

When you do a double major, the requirements for each major are the same as if you were doing just one. So you will have to take the same math core classes as your classmates who might be in the math program only.

However, some of the requirements between your majors will overlap. For example if you're going to university in the US or Canada (maybe other countries too), you'll have to take general requirements such as History. But the general classes you take will satisfy the requirements for both degrees, i.e. you'll only have to take one set of general requirements.

So doing a double major takes a lot less time than 8 years.

mitcho said:
Thanks.
Not necessarily. It depends how you choose your subjects.

I'm currently doing a double degree. Since a single degree is 3 years, and a double degree is 4 years, if you choose the minimum amount of subjects in your 2nd degree, and fill the rest with maths, you should be able to do just as much, if not more math subjects than those with a single degree.

mitcho said:
I am currently in year 12

Your phrasing suggests that you are not in the USA, where probably the largest number of PF members are located. Different countries have different educational systems. It would help a lot if you (and others!) would tell us what country you're in, so you don't get answers that are inappropriate for your country.

jtbell said:
Your phrasing suggests that you are not in the USA, where probably the largest number of PF members are located. Different countries have different educational systems. It would help a lot if you (and others!) would tell us what country you're in, so you don't get answers that are inappropriate for your country.

Ahh, yeah I should have specified. I am in Australia although I can't imagine the tertiary education system is too different. If it helps at all, the following are links to the course lists to the two degrees I'm considering.
http://www.uq.edu.au/study/plan_display.html?acad_plan=MATHSX2030"
http://www.courses.qut.edu.au/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Courses.woa/wa/selectMajorFromMain?pres=sf&courseID=9455&structureID=24766#24766"

Last edited by a moderator:
mitcho said:
I have a love for mathematics and I want to be able to learn as much as I can and go as far as i can with it.
This is the essence, I checked the courses and it depends a lot on what sort of maths you like. The math + applied is lacking all forms of pure maths but I think that it would be a better choice if you don't want to do the proof heavy classes while if you want to do pure maths the other one is obvious.

1. Do students in a double degree program have more workload?

It depends on the specific double degree program and the courses taken within it. Some double degree programs may have a heavier workload due to the combination of two majors, while others may have a similar workload to a single degree program.

2. Will I have enough time to participate in extracurricular activities?

Again, this varies depending on the specific program and courses taken. It is possible to balance extracurricular activities with a double degree, but time management will be crucial.

3. Are double degree programs more challenging than single degree programs?

Generally, double degree programs are more challenging as they require students to complete coursework in two different majors. However, this also depends on the individual's strengths and interests.

4. What are the benefits of pursuing a double degree?

The main benefit of a double degree is that it allows students to gain knowledge and skills in two different areas, making them more versatile and desirable to employers. It also allows for a more well-rounded education.

5. Can I switch out of a double degree program?

Yes, it is possible to switch out of a double degree program, but it may require additional time and effort to complete the new degree. It is important to carefully consider the decision before making the switch.