Do you teach yourself anything?

• Thread starter nicknaq
  • Start date
In summary: You'll get better at it over time.I always have to be learning something new and interesting!If you're trying to get a jump on things, get ahold of the text you will be studying from.It is true that getting away from TV and vid games helps a lot. Can you put up with that?Also, the internet can be your best or worst friend. It depends. Do you watch online courses or are you on Facebook all the time?
nicknaq
Does your education stop in the classroom, or are you an autodidact?

What have you taught yourself or what are you in the process of learning?

I'm just curious to know if I should start teaching myself anything not only for curiosities sake but to get a competitive edge. I'm 17.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've tried teaching myself things in order to get a competitive edge, and I don't think my brain let's me.
When I learn things on my own so far, its been in a very haphazard way, not in a constructive way. I've done a HUGE amount of reading this summer, ranging in topic from existentialism to globalization. I've developed almost every side of my character EXCEPT the physics side (still haven't gotten through the mathematical physics book I set out to learn).

nicknaq said:

I'm just curious to know if I should start teaching myself anything not only for curiosities sake but to get a competitive edge. I'm 17.

Interesting term, "autodidact". Is that a real word? I like it.

I went through my EMT textbook before starting the class. Aced the class.

I have enjoyed learning about antennas, DSP, and a few other things outside of structured classes.

It's definitely a good thing, to be comfortable learning on your own. I think part of the advances in education we will see over the next 50 years or so will be self-learning, with assistance from computer based learning tools (not classes per se).

What subjects are you interested in learning more on your own, whether just for fun, or for preparation for future class work?

berkeman said:
Interesting term, "autodidact". Is that a real word? I like it.

I went through my EMT textbook before starting the class. Aced the class.

I have enjoyed learning about antennas, DSP, and a few other things outside of structured classes.

It's definitely a good thing, to be comfortable learning on your own. I think part of the advances in education we will see over the next 50 years or so will be self-learning, with assistance from computer based learning tools (not classes per se).

What subjects are you interested in learning more on your own, whether just for fun, or for preparation for future class work?

anything really :)
do you have any tips? I find it difficult to discipline myself.

Pursue what interests you, nicknaq, and specialize when you find some really interesting nooks and crannies. You can get deeper into those nooks and crannies than anybody who glides by with disinterest or preconceptions. When I find stuff really interesting, I get wrapped up in it, not because I want to be the "best" at something, but because I want to learn. I had help learning how to kayak high-class white water (the 14 year-old daughter of friends who was an olympic-class paddler). Other than that, my specialties are all pretty-much self-taught. Playing guitar, troubleshooting and restoring tube-driven guitar amps, guitar repair, faceting gemstones, mining for gemstone rough, motorcycle maintenance and repair, designing and tying fishing flies, building fly-rods... If you want to learn to do something, you first need to contact people in the field and get their recommendations for books, manuals, etc. Even self-taught people need guidance or luck to find suitable materials to learn from.

Good luck!

nicknaq said:

It is true that getting away from TV and vid games helps a lot. Can you put up with that?

I always love learning new things. I've gone through many topics in advanced math thus far and taught myself a little advanced CATIA.

If I'm not being intellectually challenged I get bored quickly and pick a subject to learn.

Its as if its in my blood. I always have to be learning something new and interesting!

If you're trying to get a jump on things, get ahold of the text you will be studying from.

berkeman said:
It is true that getting away from TV and vid games helps a lot. Can you put up with that?

Also, the internet can be your best or worst friend. It depends. Do you watch online courses or are you on Facebook all the time?

Make a schedule. This is what I did. I scheduled my "classes" and also don't forget to give yourself a break from time to time (like a lunch break in school). I felt like a professor, teaching myself that is.

Last edited:
Phrak said:
If you're trying to get a jump on things, get ahold of the text you will be studying from.

I agree, that's really to the point. And when you pick up a text that you will be studying over the next semester, and flip through the chapters, don't be surprised if you get goose-bumps and the shakes reading what you will be learning. I still remember thinking, "I'll understand that in a few months?!". Beauty.

djeitnstine said:
I always love learning new things. I've gone through many topics in advanced math thus far and taught myself a little advanced CATIA.

If I'm not being intellectually challenged I get bored quickly and pick a subject to learn.

Its as if its in my blood. I always have to be learning something new and interesting!

What's CATIA? Quick totorial? Thx.

I taught myself basically the equivalent of a AA in computer science. It was easy ONLY because I was interested in computers. If I had no interest then the self teaching would have been impossible.
When I finally did go to get an official education I was able to challenge out (take the final exam in the first week) about 70% of my classes. Getting the BA was not as easy.

You can only teach yourself just so much before you need the textbooks to explain the more finite details.

Good Luck.

berkeman said:
What's CATIA? Quick totorial? Thx.

CATIA is a computer aided designing software (CAD) used to draw 3D objects. Similar to AutoCAD and ProE.

CATIA is quite flexible as you can do more than just design "simple" objects. Now you can connect with other designers and share ideas over the internet.

You can also create animations of your design, view manufacturing processes etc...

berkeman said:

Definitely can and have done so. My problem is internet use. Little excessive at times.

I just struggle to get down and study. I like the suggestion another user offered on making a schedule. Will try! :)
Thanks

nicknaq said:

I basically taught myself a lot of pharmacology and by default a lot of bio, chem and physiology. At the time I was extremely interested in it and would just pour over anything that was available to me and that was on my level.

Did it give me a competitive edge? I would think so.I eventually took formal classes in bio, chem, physio and pharm and felt I learned things as well as I did because of the study I had put in previously. Concepts weren't new, and though I understood what I had learned better AFTER taking formal classes, I don't think I would have understood it as well had I not done the studying I did before.

Now that I am doing physics and math, I have tried to do self study of topics I will eventually take formal classes in, but I find it much harder to will myself to sit down and actually do it. Maybe its because I am now a full time student and just don't have the energy to put in the extra work, where as before I was a full time worker, learning basics of pharmacology as a hobby.

Alright, thanks for all your responses. Much appreciated.

Another question I'll throw out is how long I should commit to self-education. What did you do? It is summer holidays and I'm thinking of making myself a schedule, maybe 3 hours a day (not straight; plenty of breaks) and maybe adding an extra hour on weekends. Attainable? I think my first subject will be chemistry (love it!).

Thanks again!

nicknaq said:
Alright, thanks for all your responses. Much appreciated.

Another question I'll throw out is how long I should commit to self-education. What did you do? It is summer holidays and I'm thinking of making myself a schedule, maybe 3 hours a day (not straight; plenty of breaks) and maybe adding an extra hour on weekends. Attainable? I think my first subject will be chemistry (love it!).

Thanks again!

In my opinion any self study should feel as great as your love for the subject. In my opinion I think 3 hours is a lot I don't know how you feel about studying like that but I would do 1 hour away.

djeitnstine said:
In my opinion any self study should feel as great as your love for the subject. In my opinion I think 3 hours is a lot I don't know how you feel about studying like that but I would do 1 hour away.

I studied Algebra II and precalculus for about 3 hours a day (I took the week ends off) and I am glad I did. There is not much to do were I live so I spend my time as constructively as I can. It all depends on how bad you want it, If you really want to know something, you won't wait for someone else to teach it to you.

Personally, I consider self-instruction the primary method of learning, and lectures/teachers as auxiliary things to help you along in this.

If you want to save money on buying textbooks, i would use MIT opencourseware. In some courses, they'll give you complete lectures, problems sets, the exams (and the answers), and recommended reading if you really want a textbook. I've been teaching myself multivariable calculus, and the physics of waves and fluids from it. I like it b/c its not as dry as a textbook and you see how teachers explain the concepts.

nicknaq said:

So far I have taught myself pretty much everything I know from high-school and forward. I have never done so to be "competitive", but simply because I enjoy most subjects and I prefer self-study to class study. Also I haven't really had any opportunity to formally study challenging topics yet (I'm about to start my first year at university).

Do what interests you and don't be scared of diverging from the standard curriculum. If you're self-studying linear algebra and getting a bit fed-up, but remembered a couple of interesting exercises about symmetric polynomials don't be afraid to post-pone your usual reading a bit and instead look up some stuff about symmetric polynomials from other sources. These kind of diversions may well be what eventually enables you to truly understand the subject. In class you have to keep going at a steady pace, you don't have the luxury of stopping and doing some interesting examples because one student feels like it. When you do self-study you have this luxury and you should take advantage of it, but of course not abuse it as you will have to pick up the pace at some point.

Especially at first it's important to pick stuff you like as you need to get into the habit of doing self-study and that's pretty hard if you feel you'd rather surf the web.

I agree, that's really to the point. And when you pick up a text that you will be studying over the next semester, and flip through the chapters, don't be surprised if you get goose-bumps and the shakes reading what you will be learning. I still remember thinking, "I'll understand that in a few months?!". Beauty.
I thought I was the only one who felt like this. It's a pretty cool feeling when you finally do master the material. I actually tend to buy books that are a bit too advanced for me, but which I know I will need in the near future. Then I can use those as motivation for my current study (for instance I'm studying abstract algebra over the summer and I like browsing a homological algebra textbook for motivation and fun).

While I commend anyone with the ability to 'book study' over the summers, one option that can get easily overlooked is practical study. By this I mean the student should take the opportunity to explore his or her areas of interest through related hobbies rather than rigorous, regimented book study. This keeps the learning fun and allows the student to relate theoretical concepts to practical applications.

Hobbies like: astronomy, building and racing radio-controlled vehicles, programming video games (off the top of my head) all can lead to developing skills that will help one advance in physics and engineering.

For multiple years now (since I was roughly 13) I've been teaching myself pure, rigorous mathematics (and the occasional theoretical physics course). I started off with calculus, and then moved into First-Order Logic (Kalish), then Axiomatic Set Theory (Suppes, Jech, Takeuti-Zaring), then Topology (Dugundji), then Analysis (Big Rudin), then Abstract Algebra (including Linear and Multilinear, from Hungerford, MacLane and Birkhoff), then Riemannian Geometry (DoCarmo, Wald), then General Relativity (Wald), and most recently Category Theory (MacLane, Goldblatt).

I've worked perhaps 2 hours a night every day for years to do this, and I could only have done it because I love pure mathematics more than I love anything else (Halmos said the same thing, actually).

Another subject I've been self taught in is philosophy, mainly from reading the more rigorous existentialist works such as Kierkegaard, Nietzche, Camus, Sartre as well as ethicists like Plato.

Next year I'm going to enter the University and most likely work to receive a double major in Pure Math and Philosophy and then move on to work on a PhD. in Mathematics (most likely with a focus in foundational theories such as Category Theory or Topos Theory).

If you have time and a genuine interest in something, you'll be able to find the time to learn it. I've also found that learning on my own is far more enriching than learning at the hands of others, because autodidactism allows me to structure my learning how it best suits me and allows me to focus on what most interests me.

I have always struggled with teaching myself. Reading books has never been an interest of mine. Also long as I attend my classes I usually get B/B+ and sometimes A. Teaching myself at home would probably push me into that A physics student but I can't remember a thing I teach myself. I am currently reading "C in a Nutshell" (for programming PICs) but I can't seem to commit any of it to memory so I am really learning?

Last edited:
I haven't really been able to teach myself too much physics. I might sometimes pick up a light book on astronomy, but nothing very rigorous. I just can't seem to motivate myself to do it. Classes are one thing. There is structure there that I can follow.

I suppose I had to teach myself MATLAB and image morphology this past summer, but that was for a job. I've also learned everything I know about tennis and lifting through experience.

If you have a friend with the same interests, you can push each other. I find it much easier to do something if someone else is doing it, too. This is especially true for lifting and tennis.

dx said:
Personally, I consider self-instruction the primary method of learning, and lectures/teachers as auxiliary things to help you along in this.

I agree, professors can only guide you in the right direction. In the end it is up to the individual to learn and master a subject. The ability to learn on your own is an invaluable skill to possess.

I loved teaching myself things, especially during high school required classes which were very boring :) i used self-teachintg books mainly, and taught myself calculus and micro/macroeconomics. i used the "Demystifyed" series for both, they're very helpful and guide you in the right direction.

Have you guys even made it to University yet? I have barely been to a lecture in 2 years, and the ones I have been to I've only done so to get the Uni off my back about poor attendance. Getting good at Physics is about commiting the main theorems and techniques to memory and then practising problems. You cannot do this in a 1 hour lecture, not even close. The ONLY way to truly master physics is to slave away at books for hours on end, and you use your lecturer for asking questions that you can't figure out yourself. Eventually you will get to a point where not even your lecturer can help you. That is when you have mastered your trade. Afterall, lectures are prepared from books anyway. Why not skip the middle man?

barnflakes said:
Have you guys even made it to University yet? I have barely been to a lecture in 2 years, and the ones I have been to I've only done so to get the Uni off my back about poor attendance. Getting good at Physics is about commiting the main theorems and techniques to memory and then practising problems. You cannot do this in a 1 hour lecture, not even close. The ONLY way to truly master physics is to slave away at books for hours on end, and you use your lecturer for asking questions that you can't figure out yourself. Eventually you will get to a point where not even your lecturer can help you. That is when you have mastered your trade. Afterall, lectures are prepared from books anyway. Why not skip the middle man?

Well the point is that the lecturer should be a professor in the field and thus has a wealth of experience in the subject with which to supplement the textbook material. He or she can introduce new ideas and add emphasis on points that textbooks are unable to provide. The really good ones are able to stimulate independent thought on the part of the students by asking the rigth questions.

Your arguments are valid for professors that are just regurgitating what's in the textbook, but if that's the case, why not also skip the bazillion dollar tuition and educate yourself by way of a ten dollar library card?

barnflakes said:
I used to think like that, I'd show up for lecture but not really pay attention. Of course, it was a boring mechanics course.
But near the end, we started doing more interesting things, and I started paying attention to his lecture, really following every step. And I found it really did make a difference.

I think it depends on your prof really, because this doesn't happen in my math classes (crappy profs). But my first year physics prof REALLY had a way of opening your mind. I don't know how, but if you followed along his lectures, he'd explain things very differently and he used "proofs" (mainly just weird motivation) that were not there in the books.
Actually, second semester for E&M we didn't even use a book. His lectures were definitely that good.

So, I have to disagree with you. Sometimes your lecturer can give you insights and inspirations that really help you grow. And sometimes, they just recite the book and its totally useless :cry:

haha me too
I love physics and math and have self-learned some college stuffs while in high school
I LOVE it lol

but the difficulty is that I will be stopped while there were sth I couldn't understand no matter how many approaches I made: asking ppl in science forum, emailing to profs...

I think the attitude that as long as you can't win the game, you quit, and find another interesting game and have fun is important.

Related to Do you teach yourself anything?

1. What is self-teaching?

Self-teaching is the process of learning a new skill or subject without the guidance or instruction of a teacher or formal education program. It involves taking initiative and using various resources to acquire knowledge on your own.

2. Why would someone choose to teach themselves?

There are many reasons why someone may choose to teach themselves. Some people may prefer to learn at their own pace, have a specific interest or goal that is not covered in traditional education, or simply enjoy the challenge and independence of self-teaching.

3. Is self-teaching effective?

Yes, self-teaching can be very effective. It requires a lot of self-discipline and motivation, but it can lead to a deeper understanding and retention of the material. It also allows for a more personalized learning experience.

4. What are some tips for successful self-teaching?

Some tips for successful self-teaching include setting clear goals, breaking down the material into manageable chunks, using a variety of resources such as books, online courses, and tutorials, and staying consistent and dedicated to the learning process.

5. What are some examples of skills that can be self-taught?

There are countless skills that can be self-taught, including coding, graphic design, cooking, playing an instrument, a new language, and many more. With the availability of online resources, the possibilities for self-teaching are endless.