DoE/SULI Acceptances: Applying & Expectations

In summary, I applied to the DoE Summer Undergraduate Laboratory Internships for this summer. I chose PPPL as my first choice and LLNL as my second. Has anyone heard back from any lab yet? When should I expect to hear back? Thanks!I was accepted last year and heard back on February 20th, however this was at Fermilab and each lab does things differently.I also applied again this year and haven't heard back yet :)I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who scours forums waiting to see if anyone has gotten acceptances yet!I didn't apply for SULI, but I applied for CCI, which is for all practical purposes
Hshc
I applied to the DoE Summer Undergraduate Laboratory Internships for this summer. I chose PPPL as my first choice and LLNL as my second.
Has anyone heard back from any lab yet? When should I expect to hear back? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I was accepted last year and heard back on February 20th, however this was at Fermilab and each lab does things differently.

I also applied again this year and haven't heard back yet :)

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who scours forums waiting to see if anyone has gotten acceptances yet!

Last edited:
I didn't apply for SULI, but I applied for CCI, which is for all practical purposes the same program but for community college students. My first choice lab was Fermilab, and my second choice was SLAC. I haven't heard anything back yet. I'm checking the application status everyday (okay, maybe a few times a day). It still says "Application complete & pending review." I'm getting antsy.

samnorris93 said:
I was accepted last year and heard back on February 20th, however this was at Fermilab and each lab does things differently.

That's the date I've been seeing pop up around the internet, so I guess I'll have to wait for two weeks :(
QuantumCurt said:
It still says "Application complete & pending review." I'm getting antsy.

Mine says the same thing! I just want them to review it already!

That seems to be the date that I keep seeing popping up. I found a thread from 2012 with someone that got an offer from Argonne in the first week of February, so it could be sooner. I keep seeing people who got their offers around the end of February though. I'm guessing it comes out in waves.

I don't know if there is a set date where everyone gets the news at the same time. It might depend on when a candidate is accepted.

When I was a mentor for a SULI student, my student got the acceptance notice quite early since I did my review and selection quickly. So while we had a deadline by which we had to make our selection, the early notice may go out whenever the mentor makes his/her decision.

Zz.

Does anyone know if you hear back even if you are rejected?

That's a very worthwhile question. I assume they'll at least update the application status online.

Does anyone know if the application status is updated if they pass your application along to the sites? Or does it remain as "pending review"? I can't help but get so anxious about this

Pass your application along to the sites? I'm not sure what you mean. I check my application status on the DOE CCI website. Is there another site where the application status can be seen?

The DoE reviews applications first, and then gives the best applications to each site and that's when they decide if you're in. Or so I thought, maybe I'm wrong.

Oh, okay. I see what you're saying. I misunderstood you.

I'm not sure how that works. I'm not sure if the DOE itself even reviews the applications before sending them to the host labs. They obviously check them over to make sure that they're complete and meet eligibility, but I think it's basically decided by the people at the labs to which one has applied.

Oh, okay. I see what you're saying. I misunderstood you.

I'm not sure how that works. I'm not sure if the DOE itself even reviews the applications before sending them to the host labs. They obviously check them over to make sure that they're complete and meet eligibility, but I think it's basically decided by the people at the labs to which one has applied.

Hshc said:
Does anyone know if the application status is updated if they pass your application along to the sites? Or does it remain as "pending review"? I can't help but get so anxious about this

It's not. I checked my application status every day until I was accepted. I checked it maybe 5-6 hours before I got the e-mail saying I was accepted, and it said "Pending review". And as soon as I checked after I got the e-mail, my status changed to "Offer pending" or something.

Believe me, I was every bit as anxious last year as you guys were. This year I realized it didn't make a difference.

The anxiety doesn't really accomplish anything. But right now I feel like I've got so much pending. I'm awaiting transfer decisions from a couple of schools, and waiting for a decision on this internship. I'm ready for April to get here. That's when I'll finally have a solid plan for what I'm going to be doing this summer and where I'll be transferring in the fall.

I'm sure I'll receive emails from all of these places as soon as anything changes, but I still can't help checking on all of them every day...lol

I know it doesn't make a difference at all, I'm just anxious. I'm probably going to apply to graduate school in the fall so I want to know where I'll stand at the end of the summer.

I applied to ORNL and ANL. My application status is still pending awaiting review also.

Any updates anyone? I'm getting so anxious D:

Still no response here. I'm getting anxious as well.

Hshc said:
Any updates anyone? I'm getting so anxious D:

Nothing here either. Will update if I hear anything.

Just heard back-- I got into Princeton Plasma Physics Lab!

Congrats! Are you going to accept?? Has anyone else heard back yet?

Congrats! Let us know what you decide. I still haven't heard anything.

Thanks guys! I am probably going to accept, as I have no other offers at the moment.

My question is, is there more value in a regular REU over a DOE Lab? This lab is basically on Princeton's campus and administered by the university (interns even stay in dorms there), but I don't know if I'll be working with faculty members or not. I'm not sure if having a closer connection to a physics department is better. What do you guys think?

Hello everyone, first post here.
I got into PPPL too! I'm super stoked as it was my top choice(along with UM @ CERN) and was definitely not expecting to get an offer because of my overall GPA. Hopefully I'll see you there Hshc.
From what I've gathered, REUs and SULIs are pretty much equal in value and seem to be a pretty similar experience. Do research for a professor, write a paper, and present your work(usually w/ a poster) at the end. It seems that the better program would depend on what you are able to get out of it, and perhaps the prestige factor, but that varies from program to program anyway. For me, PPPL is the best I could wish for because they are so big in magnetic confinement fusion in the US.

So yeah, you will DEFINITELY work with faculty members. You will be assigned an advisor for your project(whatever they decide to throw you into, ha) and... that's about as far as I know so far!
I'm curious, where else were you hoping to get an offer from?

Congrats on PPPL! Did you get your project assigned? I just got a project number and no other information. I just emailed the contact person about that.

I'm definitely going to talk to the professor I currently do research to see what he thinks. But I am almost 100% sure I'll accept the offer.

I also applied to CalTech's LIGO REU, which is my top choice along with PPPL.
I then also applied to UCLA, U Washington, Cornell (CLASSE), Duke/TUNL, and LSU (for LIGO).
I guess what I'm waiting for is CalTech at this point, but it seems like a long shot (then again, I thought PPPL was too!)

How about you? Just waiting on UM/CERN?

I'm so excited! I just received an offer from Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory! This is the only internship I applied for, and I will be accepting it. I just now got the email, so I don't have the details on specific projects yet.

This was my first choice laboratory. My second choice was SLAC.

edit - Just checked the application status online, and the internship is in Accelerator Engineering and Technology. My biggest interests are in particle physics, and specifically in accelerator physics. I could not be happier right now.

Congrats! Fermi is an AMAZING lab!

Likes QuantumCurt
I was at the SULI at Fermilab last year! You will absolutely LOVE it. The internship coordinator, Tanja, is one of the most fun people I have ever met. And all the super awesome colloquia you get to attend... I'm jealous of you!

Likes QuantumCurt
Congratulations Curt! Fermilab is from what I hear one of the best in the world, both in terms of prestige and equipment and such and in faculty.

Likes QuantumCurt
Hey guys, one of the professors for an REU I applied for asked me for my Skype name so he could "talk to me". I'm a bundle of nerves right now since he's calling tonight (and I don't know when!). What kind of questions should I anticipate?

I'd just prepare for the usual questions and be sure to make sure you don't have to repeat yourself to often. I know when I was interviewed for a high school I would answer the next question before he asked it and it made me look like an idiot repeating myself.

Too late, I already made a fool out of myself. No need stressing out about it anymore, though.

I'm sure you didn't make as much of a fool out of yourself as you think.

What was your project at Fermilab?

I worked as a collaborator on Darkside-50, a dark matter detector which is actually in Italy. We analyzed a bunch of their data and purified argon-40 to be used in the detector. My particular project was looking for the double-electron capture of Argon-36 in the piles of data from Darkside, in hopes of finding evidence of the process being neutrinoless which would mean that neutrinos annihilate each other. That's the TLDR version. Not the most exciting, but I loved being at Fermilab, it was the best.