1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does a moving magnetic field generate a current?

1. Mar 14, 2015 #1
    Hey! Not sure if this is a stupid question or not but I was wondering if a moving magnetic field could generate a current in a wire. I know that moving a wire through a magnetic field creates a current but what if you move around a magnet underneath a circular wire. Does that generate a current?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

Yes (if you are into Hi-Fi, you will know that there are both moving magnet and moving coil pickups).

4. Mar 14, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the answer Svein! I was just wondering because I wanted to do a science project that is reliant on creating a current in a wire with a moving magnet.

5. Mar 14, 2015 #4
    Actually to clarify my question a little better, I'm not specifically talking about something like a solenoid, where a magnet goes through a coil of wire. Instead would current be generated if there was a circular loop of wire parallel to the ground and a magnet moving left and right underneath this wire.

6. Mar 15, 2015 #5

Svein

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook