Does a moving magnetic field generate a current?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential of a moving magnetic field to generate a current in a wire. The question is raised about whether moving a magnet underneath a circular wire can create a current, with the response being that this is possible. It is noted that this concept is used in Hi-Fi technology and the conversation concludes with a clarification of the scenario, with a magnet moving left and right underneath a parallel circular loop of wire, and a reference to the principle of electromagnetic induction.
HumanDrew
Hey! Not sure if this is a stupid question or not but I was wondering if a moving magnetic field could generate a current in a wire. I know that moving a wire through a magnetic field creates a current but what if you move around a magnet underneath a circular wire. Does that generate a current?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes (if you are into Hi-Fi, you will know that there are both moving magnet and moving coil pickups).

Likes HumanDrew
Thanks for the answer Svein! I was just wondering because I wanted to do a science project that is reliant on creating a current in a wire with a moving magnet.

Actually to clarify my question a little better, I'm not specifically talking about something like a solenoid, where a magnet goes through a coil of wire. Instead would current be generated if there was a circular loop of wire parallel to the ground and a magnet moving left and right underneath this wire.

1. What is the principle behind a moving magnetic field generating a current?

The principle behind a moving magnetic field generating a current is known as electromagnetic induction. This phenomenon occurs when a conductor, such as a wire, is exposed to a changing magnetic field. The movement of the magnetic field causes the electrons in the conductor to move, creating an electric current.

2. How is the strength of the current generated by a moving magnetic field determined?

The strength of the current generated by a moving magnetic field depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which it is moving, and the properties of the conductor. The greater the strength and speed of the magnetic field, the stronger the current will be.

3. Can any type of conductor be used to generate a current from a moving magnetic field?

Yes, any type of conductor can generate a current from a moving magnetic field, as long as it is able to freely move within the magnetic field and has the ability to conduct electricity. This includes materials such as copper, aluminum, and even human tissue.

4. What are some real-world applications of a moving magnetic field generating a current?

There are many real-world applications of a moving magnetic field generating a current. Some examples include generators used in power plants to produce electricity, electric motors in cars and appliances, and induction cooktops that use a magnetic field to heat up pots and pans.

5. Can a moving magnetic field generate a current in a vacuum?

No, a moving magnetic field cannot generate a current in a vacuum because there is no medium for the electrons to move through. In order for electromagnetic induction to occur, there must be a conductor present for the electrons to flow through.