Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does a moving magnetic field generate a current?

1. Mar 14, 2015 #1
    Hey! Not sure if this is a stupid question or not but I was wondering if a moving magnetic field could generate a current in a wire. I know that moving a wire through a magnetic field creates a current but what if you move around a magnet underneath a circular wire. Does that generate a current?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

Yes (if you are into Hi-Fi, you will know that there are both moving magnet and moving coil pickups).

4. Mar 14, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the answer Svein! I was just wondering because I wanted to do a science project that is reliant on creating a current in a wire with a moving magnet.

5. Mar 14, 2015 #4
    Actually to clarify my question a little better, I'm not specifically talking about something like a solenoid, where a magnet goes through a coil of wire. Instead would current be generated if there was a circular loop of wire parallel to the ground and a magnet moving left and right underneath this wire.

6. Mar 15, 2015 #5

Svein

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook