Does a Polarizer Alter the Shape of Airy Disks in Optical Systems?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter zincshow
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Effects Polarizer
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
zincshow
Messages
103
Reaction score
0
When an airy disk is formed, does using a polarizer in front of the pinhole change the shape of the disk?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
zincshow said:
When an airy disk is formed, does using a polarizer in front of the pinhole change the shape of the disk?
No responses? Well I'm going to guess yes, and hourglass shaped. I might be able to test this for you with my telescope and a lunar filter...
 
It shouldn't make any difference. The far field diffraction pattern is just the Fourier transform of the aperture function, which in this case is a circular hole. Unless there's spatially varying polarisation in the incident radiation.

I'm not completely certain - I'd be interested in seeing your test, Russ.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters
zincshow said:
When an airy disk is formed, does using a polarizer in front of the pinhole change the shape of the disk?

If it just a pinhole aperture, then no, scalar diffraction suffices. If you are using a lens (or focusing mirror), then yes, especially if the numerical aperture is large. Vector diffraction is considerably more complex than scalar diffraction, here's a few links:

https://www.osapublishing.org/josaa/abstract.cfm?URI=josaa-35-4-526
https://www.osapublishing.org/oe/abstract.cfm?uri=oe-12-12-2670
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/978-3-540-48471-4_6.pdf
https://spiral.imperial.ac.uk/bitst...a high numerical aperture focusing system.pdf
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix and russ_watters