Does a waterfall have a higher temperature at the bottom ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between kinetic energy and temperature, specifically in regards to water at the bottom of a waterfall. The speaker questions why the Earth's rotation and translation are not considered as kinetic energy in this scenario. However, it was previously explained that temperature is related to the movement of molecules, not just kinetic energy. This question was answered in a previous thread and the conversation is now closed.
DLeuPel
So we have that KE= (2/3)kT , meaning that if I increase the kinetic energy of water, it will become hotter, I searched it and it says that at the bottom of the waterfall, the water is slightly hotter. Of course I imagine that when they refer to the bottom, they refer to a part of the waterfall that is still falling. If this is true, then why don’t we consider the KE of Earths rotation, translation, etc ?

Science news on Phys.org
DLeuPel said:
Of course I imagine that when they refer to the bottom, they refer to a part of the waterfall that is still falling.

I suspect that isn't correct
Consider why it might be so
Edit
Actually, thinking about it, there's 2 possibilities for why it would be warmer at the bottom ...

davenn said:
I suspect that isn't correct
Consider why it might be so
Edit
Actually, thinking about it, there's 2 possibilities for why it would be warmer at the bottom ...
This question is related with the definition of what is temperature regarding the movement of molecules. This of course translates to kinetic energy but that would mean that the Earths rotation, translation, etc should be considered as KE

Last edited by a moderator:
DLeuPel said:
This question is related with the definition of what is temperature regarding the movement of molecules. This of course translates to kinetic energy but that would mean that the Earths rotation, translation, etc should be considered as KE
This question was correctly answered for you yesterday in your other thread -- what you are saying is not correct. Please just accept the answer instead of starting a new thread to try to make the answer go away. Thread closed.

Likes davenn, Vanadium 50 and Dale

1. What causes a waterfall to have a higher temperature at the bottom?

The temperature at the bottom of a waterfall is typically higher due to the friction and turbulence caused by the falling water. As the water hits the surface below, it creates energy in the form of heat, which can cause the temperature to rise.

2. Does the height of a waterfall affect the temperature at the bottom?

Yes, the height of a waterfall can play a role in the temperature at the bottom. The higher the waterfall, the more energy and heat will be created as the water falls and hits the surface below.

3. Is the temperature at the bottom of a waterfall consistent?

No, the temperature at the bottom of a waterfall can vary depending on factors such as the height and flow of the waterfall, as well as the surrounding environment. It may also be affected by the time of day and weather conditions.

4. Can the temperature at the bottom of a waterfall be measured?

Yes, the temperature at the bottom of a waterfall can be measured using a thermometer or other temperature sensing devices. However, it may be difficult to get an accurate reading due to the constantly changing environment and conditions at the bottom of a waterfall.

5. How does the temperature at the bottom of a waterfall affect the surrounding area?

The temperature at the bottom of a waterfall can have a cooling effect on the surrounding area, especially on hot days. The mist and spray from the waterfall can also help to lower the temperature and provide relief from the heat. However, in colder climates, the temperature at the bottom of a waterfall may contribute to the formation of ice and icicles.