Does anybody here own a Honda Ridgeline?

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary, the Honda Ridgeline is a popular pickup truck known for its versatility and comfort. It features a spacious cabin, smooth ride, and impressive towing capacity. Many owners praise its reliability and practicality for everyday use and off-roading adventures. However, some may find its fuel efficiency and handling to be lacking compared to other trucks in its class. Overall, the Honda Ridgeline is a solid choice for those seeking a well-rounded and capable truck.
turbo
Gold Member
I'm asking this here because I value the opinions of members more than a bit more highly than those participating in vehicle reviews (for whatever reason).

My wife drives a 2002 Subaru Legacy, and I have a 2009 Subaru Forester with nearly no miles (I don't drive much), and a '96 Nissan 4x4 that generally only goes to the dump (transfer station) and other short-range tasks. We're looking to sell off the Legacy and the Nissan, and transfer the Forester to her. I'd pick up a Honda Ridgeline to replace the other two vehicles. Got a back-seat/cargo area for my dog, car-like handling, and a short 5' bed so I can take stuff to the recycle/landfill transfer center, and pick up bulky stuff like garden amendments, etc. I have owned some pretty competent pickups in the past, but I don't need heavy load-carrying/towing capacities, anymore.

I think that's the whole story. Any Ridgeline owners on PF to advise me about the strengths and weaknesses of this vehicle?

Physics news on Phys.org
No advice from me, but a question: how much are you expecting for the 02 Legacy?

Gokul43201 said:
No advice from me, but a question: how much are you expecting for the 02 Legacy?

Kelly Blue Book says $5080. The car just recently bumped over 100K miles then developed a head-gasket leak that had been sufficiently addressed in slightly earlier models, so we never got the service bulletins. Anyway, the engine has been torn down, all new head-gaskets and related parts, and a new timing belt, too.

I'd like to get $5K, but I'd go to $4.5K or even $4K for a friend. That little sucker feels like it's on rails in winter weather, with decent studded snow tires.

turbo-1 said:
Kelly Blue Book says $5080. The car just recently bumped over 100K miles then developed a head-gasket leak that had been sufficiently addressed in slightly earlier models, so we never got the service bulletins. Anyway, the engine has been torn down, all new head-gaskets and related parts, and a new timing belt, too.

I'd like to get $5K, but I'd go to $4.5K or even $4K for a friend. That little sucker feels like it's on rails in winter weather, with decent studded snow tires.
Tempting! I might PM you after giving this a little more thought.

Gokul43201 said:
Tempting! I might PM you after giving this a little more thought.
It'll sell on the road-side our here in a while (Subaru is very popular here), so no time-pressure. It will take at least another 3-4 weeks before i can park it on what pretends to be our lawn.

turbo,

I have an 07 Ridgeline, black, about 65K miles, no major problems, a few small warranty issues, I still have original tires on it, and have not replaced front brakes, rear was replaced due to caliper sticking on one side, great truck, good in the snow, downside, only about 18 mpg HW unless you keep your speed to around 60 mph. PM or e-mail me, I will tell you more.

Rhody... :smile:

P.S. You can't go wrong with this truck, have never heard of a lemon, check out this http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/index.php": I belong there as well with ID; you guessed it: rhody.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Rhody. I didn't imagine that there might be an owners' group forum, but I guess for such a quirky vehicle (unibody PU w/ AWD and 4-wheel independent suspension) I should not have been surprised.

turbo-1 said:
Thanks, Rhody. I didn't imagine that there might be an owners' group forum, but I guess for such a quirky vehicle (unibody PU w/ AWD and 4-wheel independent suspension) I should not have been surprised.

Turbo,

IMHO, in the 4 years since I have been a member, there is valuable info/intell and the usual troublemakers in the mix, but you will be able to find them right away, definitely worth a look.

RidgeRhody... Hey, I kind of like that... :eek:, well, maybe not, on second thought... hehe...

Well, I took the plunge. I hit the dealership this morning. There was a 2011 RT for sale and a 2010 RTS (as well as a 2011 RTS). The age of the hold-over is really not an issue for me because I hardly ever put on any real miles any more, but I made an issue of it at the dealership and got them to come down to just $500 over the price of the 2011 RT. For the $500, I got nice 17" alloy wheels instead of steel, 10-way power driver's seat with adjustable lumbar support, upgraded stereo w/6-disk CD changer, a few trim upgrades, and a full trailer wiring harness (that's a $300 add-on that would have been required for the RT). Pretty good deal, and they never made a peep about giving me full Kelly trade-in on the Legacy. I would have paid the $300 for the wiring harness if I bought the RT, so essentially all the other upgrades only cost $200. I'll bet you can't buy even one of the alloy wheels for that.

turbo-1 said:
Well, I took the plunge. I hit the dealership this morning. There was a 2011 RT for sale and a 2010 RTS (as well as a 2011 RTS). The age of the hold-over is really not an issue for me because I hardly ever put on any real miles any more, but I made an issue of it at the dealership and got them to come down to just $500 over the price of the 2011 RT. For the $500, I got nice 17" alloy wheels instead of steel, 10-way power driver's seat with adjustable lumbar support, upgraded stereo w/6-disk CD changer, a few trim upgrades, and a full trailer wiring harness (that's a $300 add-on that would have been required for the RT). Pretty good deal, and they never made a peep about giving me full Kelly trade-in on the Legacy. I would have paid the $300 for the wiring harness if I bought the RT, so essentially all the other upgrades only cost $200. I'll bet you can't buy even one of the alloy wheels for that.

Good for you, glad you are happy, once you get it how about a few pics, especially the inside front interior, like to see what the improved or changed since 07. Nice birthday gift, BTW the thing rides like a car, my new Toyo tires are very quiet too. You didn't mention the color.

Rhody...:biggrin:

I got over there at mid-morning ready to deal and buy, and got the all-day stall treatment. Duke was the star of the show and he got to meet lots of people (practically everybody from the dealership plus customers). He was quite well-behaved in that unfamiliar environment and got LOTS of attention. "Cute puppy!" (huh?) "Handsome dog." "What a good boy." and on and on. We could have won Westminster today with his big grin, excited barks, and non-stop tail.

I'll post a pic or two later (bad weather for tomorrow!), but it is a clear-coated black with silver metalflake. It looks really nice in the sun. I'll have to take classes to learn how to use all the technology in that rascal, though.

My neighbor bought a Silverado last year and had been considering an Avalanche though the Avalance is at least $10K over the Ridgeline at comparable trims. When he looked over my Ridgeline, he made it pretty clear that he wished that he had bought the Honda. He pointed to the hitch and trailer wiring and said "My Chevy didn't come with any of that. I had to spend $1000 to get that, and it was after-market gear."

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
I got over there at mid-morning ready to deal and buy, and got the all-day stall treatment. Duke was the star of the show and he got to meet lots of people (practically everybody from the dealership plus customers). He was quite well-behaved in that unfamiliar environment and got LOTS of attention. "Cute puppy!" (huh?) "Handsome dog." "What a good boy." and on and on. We could have won Westminster today with his big grin, excited barks, and non-stop tail.

I'll post a pic or two later (bad weather for tomorrow!), but it is a clear-coated black with silver metalflake. It looks really nice in the sun. I'll have to take classes to learn how to use all the technology in that rascal, though.

My neighbor bought a Silverado last year and had been considering an Avalanche though the Avalance is at least $10K over the Ridgeline at comparable trims. When he looked over my Ridgeline, he made it pretty clear that he wished that he had bought the Honda. He pointed to the hitch and trailer wiring and said "My Chevy didn't come with any of that. I had to spend $1000 to get that, and it was after-market gear."

Turbo,

How weird, my brother in law a fireman has an 09 Avalanche with an 8 cylinder engine, and reduced cylinders 6 then 4 for cruising, even with that the Chevy weighs almost 1000 lbs more than the Ridge. It rides like a plush car too, it should because of the weight and soft suspension. It does not do as well around town on gas, about 15 mpg. Fit and finish is pretty good, and my brother in law has had few problems so far, the bed is bigger, but no storage underneath like the ridgeline, it is a bit quieter too, and like you stated at least 10K more than the Honda, all in all I think you made a wise choice. You will have fun in the snow, it is near impossible to get it to skid or crossed up, the wheel sensors and clutches on the two front wheels prevent that. Never got near to ever getting stuck either, had snow up to the belly and never even needed four wheel full time (only good for gears 1 - 3) and less than 30 mph. I put in 4 wheel once a year to make sure everything still works, so far so good. My truck is black too. You will enjoy it. Oh, the oil filter is about the size of a motorcycle filter, tiny, I am not kidding, very strange for a 4 liter engine. My BMW filter is the same size ! One good thing, it is easy to get too. Looking forward to the pics...

Rhody... :approve:

OK, here are some pix. Exterior shots.
ridge2.jpg

ridge1.jpg

Tailgate and lockable trunk opened.
ridge3.jpg

Controls for 10-way power seat (my wife LOVES this).
ridge6.jpg

Interior shots of dash, etc.
ridge4.jpg

ridge5.jpg

Nice pictures, Turbo, I see you go the fog lights too, very nice. The interior is pretty much the same, even to the funky door handles, and the instrument cluster is the only difference I can see that is very different. I didn't do it with my truck (should have) but at 36K get the differential pan dropped, new gasket, and replace about 1/2 the tranny fluid. I did it at 55K with the anticipation I would be adding a trailer this year. Another thing, it has both and oil cooler and tranny cooler in the front as added insurance. You are going to like it. I have never been able to get more than 18-19 mpg on the highway no matter how I egg shell the gas pedal, an instantaneous mileage feature might have helped. Don't know if you have one or not. One more thing, one warm winter days, low thirties, and you get sudden hail because of weird weather, DO NOT turn the defroster on high, it cracked the windshield on the way home from skiing a couple years ago. Use warm air on defrost or split the air between the windshield and the floor and you should not experience this.

rhody... :approve:

P.S. Took the new bike out for over 100 miles yesterday, the only complaint at the end was my neck and ibuprophen cured that. Turns out that compression damping on the Ohlins is set to the minimum already. When I think about it, it makes sense, Ohlins want you to feel when the front and back tires are doing at all times to give rider feedback. That it does and in spades.

1. What is a Honda Ridgeline?

The Honda Ridgeline is a mid-size pickup truck produced by Honda since 2005. It is known for its unique unibody design and comfort features that make it suitable for both work and everyday use.

2. Who owns a Honda Ridgeline?

Anyone can own a Honda Ridgeline, as it is available for purchase by the general public. However, it is more commonly owned by individuals who need a versatile and reliable vehicle for work or outdoor activities.

3. What sets the Honda Ridgeline apart from other pickup trucks?

The Honda Ridgeline stands out from other pickup trucks due to its unibody design, which gives it a smoother and more comfortable ride, as well as its innovative features such as the in-bed trunk and dual-action tailgate.

4. Is the Honda Ridgeline a good choice for a work truck?

The Honda Ridgeline is a great choice for a work truck, as it has a payload capacity of up to 1,580 pounds and a towing capacity of up to 5,000 pounds. It also offers features such as a reinforced truck bed and a dual-action tailgate for easier loading and unloading.

5. What are the fuel efficiency and safety ratings of the Honda Ridgeline?

The fuel efficiency of the Honda Ridgeline varies depending on the model and driving conditions, but it typically ranges from 19-26 mpg. As for safety ratings, the 2021 Honda Ridgeline received a 5-star overall safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Back