Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone have experience in pharmecuticals?

1. Jan 13, 2006 #1
    does anyone have experience in pharmecuticals? supposedly in britain this pill actually caused diabetes in one of the test people. effects range all tha way to fatality, anyone know some concrete positive effects or even negative ones?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2006 #2

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A good place to look is PUBMED a free archive of the life science journals.
    Here is the first ref I found that matches key words zyprexa, olanzapine & diabetes.(olanzapine is the generic name for zyprexa). There are several other articles matching your search criteria.
    Here is a more recent ref
    Rate of New-Onset Diabetes Among Patients Treated With Atypical or Conventional Antipsychotic Medications for Schizophrenia MedGenMed. 2004 Jan–March; 6(1) (olanzapine was one of the antipsychotic medications in the study)

4. Jan 19, 2006 #3
    thank you sir or ma'am

thank you very much that helped a lot. I already clued in on the weight gain related to increased risk of such a disease but figured it triggered like tha sleeping genes or sumthin. Olanzapine's a stabilizer according to my local hospital, used for treating trauma and shock. I was prescribed a pill a day, gained roughly 20 pounds within tha last year and even having reduced my dosage to 10 instead of 20 mg's the side effects are still like brand new every time. cant remember but if theres a link to that site ill check it out, think there's any other anti-psychotics with less side effects, and less bad baggage withit? Thanks again!

5. Jan 19, 2006 #4
    by da by does anyone know any sites dedicated to either bi-polar disorder or medications with like forums n stuff?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?