Does anyone here eat at McDonald's

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
In summary: I take off the pickle. :smile:In summary, McDonald's has received a lot of negative attention, including being accused of using cow eyeballs and hooves in their meat, having high fat content in their salads and McGriddles, and being responsible for children knowing who Ronald McDonald is but not important figures like Jesus or George Bush. However, many of these statements have been proven to be false, and it ultimately comes down to personal choice in what one chooses to eat. Some people prefer other fast food options like Hardee's, while others enjoy McDonald's salads and other items on their menu.
stoned said:
**** ! I'm vegan and I ate freedom fries recently, I was thinking of course fries are 100% animal free, but they add some beef vlavour to it ! :mad:

I was surprised to see that on their site. I knew they used to have beef flavoring, but for some reason, I thought they had changed that in response to pressure from vegetarians/vegans and others who can't eat beef.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey ! I'm going to sue them ha ha ha !

stoned said:
Hey ! I'm going to sue them ha ha ha !

Actually, I thought someone already did, which is why it was something I had heard of before. Maybe that's why they now offer listings of their ingredients? Knowing about unexpected ingredients is even more important to anyone with a food allergy.

Come on guys, you got to be able to see through the urban myth crap. You know they don't take a worm and specifically place it in the hamburgers. That is rediciulous. lol.

this ain't myth :cry:

Attachments

• mcd.jpg
    mcd.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 380
stoned said:
**** ! I'm vegan and I ate freedom fries recently, I was thinking of course fries are 100% animal free, but they add some beef vlavour to it ! :mad:
Why don't you eat meat? It's tasty. The animals are already dead and you can't stop that, so dig in! Even in the bible they eat meat, so don't think you're going to heaven for not eating a nice carcass!

People's choice to eat meat isn't (ususally?) religious. It's just personal.

Normally I only eat at McDs about once every two or three years. Unfortunately, for the last two years I have fallen victim four times to the the evil McDs across the street from our tire shop: Once when I have the snow tires put on the car in the late fall, and once when they are removed each spring.

Ivan Seeking said:
Normally I only eat at McDs about once every two or three years.
I'd have thought that you'd be there more often now that your toxic snout dump has been closed. :yuck:

yomamma said:
so don't think you're going to heaven for not eating a nice carcass!

screw bible nonsense,i won't consume anythig that suffered horrible death.animals hunt each other but they are animals, I'm not. :smile:
we still don't know everything about science so I try at least to be on a safe side of things.
anyway, Bon Appetit Yomamma ! :wink:

stoned said:
screw bible nonsense,i won't consume anythig that suffered horrible death.animals hunt each other but they are animals, I'm not. :smile:
we still don't know everything about science so I try at least to be on a safe side of things.
anyway, Bon Appetit Yomamma ! :wink:
YOU ARE AN ANIMAL! ANIMALS KILL PEOPLE! I AM A CARCASS EATER

Last edited by a moderator:
okay okay i forgot my biology , I'm an animal but with some functioning brains .

Moonbear said:
I have no interest in watching "Super Size Me." No sensible person would question that eating nothing but super-sized McDonalds meals would be unhealthy, so watching someone make a pig of himself is not my idea of either entertainment or of a quality documentary.

You hear a lot of bad things about it because most people completely miss the point. In the film he clearly states that his little experiment is about fast food in general, and is not specifically targeting McDonalds. His reason for choosing McDonalds was because McDonalds is the largest fast food chain.
The documentary isn't about the food itself; it's about the culture surrounding the food.

Oh and I too think Starbucks coffee isn't that great. Last one I had was maybe 3 weeks ago. I had to kill it with 10 packs of white sugar before that bitter taste went away. All coffee is bitter, but having it too bitter means too much coffee was used in not enough water.

hypatia said:
We have those here at a place called WhiteCastles{est1920} I get a craveing for them about once a year. After eating them I start recalling other names for them...gut bombs, sliders and ones I can't mention.
They had those in Columbus, Ohio when I lived there. White Castles were great! They didn't even charge you extra for the extra grease! And didn't they advertise how old their grease was? Aging the grease does wonders for burgers! :rofl:

Plus, it was always kind of cool to go down and buy a bag of hamburgers. Each one was very cheap, but also very small. I think they used dinner rolls instead of buns.

Any local burger joint is better than the chain restaurants. McDonald's, Wendy's, et al, cave into nutritionists too often (although I did like it when Wendy's had the Mexian/Italian food bar). If you're going to eat junk, you ought to go all the way - and just not make it your everyday meal.

Hey don't be bashing Wendy's; that's probably the best restaurant in North America. A steak from any steak house pales in comparison to the Junior Cheeseburger Delux. I would eat those every day if I could afford it.

Don't forget fast food like Boston Market (I could live on their creamed spinach), that's got to be more unhealthy than a Big Mac with all that cream, butter and cheese in it. :bugeye:

Evo said:
Don't forget fast food like Boston Market (I could live on their creamed spinach), that's got to be more unhealthy than a Big Mac with all that cream, butter and cheese in it. :bugeye:
Not if you're on Atkins :rolleyes:

I don't think those are in Canada yet. Give us a few years to catch up :smile:

I think Boston Market is cutting back. The one around us closed down two years ago; I think it was Atkins that fired the coup de grace.

Anecdote: during a road trip, my wife and I decided to stop at McDonalds for a quick lunch. We each got the double cheeseburger meal, supersized. Both of us nearly threw up just like that guy in the movie. That was five years ago and we have not been to any since.

2 cents on the carnivore subthread: we have recently begun buying kosher poultry and beef. The chicken is especially better than standard supermarket fare. Now if only we could find some kosher pork.

Chi Meson said:
Now if only we could find some kosher pork.
That could be an interesting quest. Keep us informed of your progress.

Monique said:
Technically, why would eating organs be so much worse than eating cow meat?

I thought hot dogs and sausage were made of organs and "leftover" parts? So if McD's uses this stuff, it's not much different then having a bologna sandwich...

I compared the prices of Wendy's and McD's one day...not only does Wendy's taste better, but they are more affordable if you really do need a cheap meal fast. That whole finger thing was just a hoax too, so it didn't stop me from choosing Wendy's.

Kerrie said:
I thought hot dogs and sausage were made of organs and "leftover" parts? So if McD's uses this stuff, it's not much different then having a bologna sandwich...

Well, there's no way getting around sausage casing being intestines. The whole reason they include the organs in that little packet when you buy chicken is that people do eat them, or use them to flavor gravy or stuffing. Personally, I used to cook them up as dog food (didn't want to take a chance feeding it to the dog raw) because I don't like those things, but there's nothing wrong with eating it. But, then, that's why, like Chi Meson, I prefer Kosher hot dogs, because I know they are all beef, not fillers (in Kosher foods, they can't use the "by-products"). As for sausage, that shouldn't be any fillers. It should be pork and/or beef, a lot of fat, and spices. Changing the ratios of pork, beef and fat along with the spices used are what give you your variety of sausages. I keep thinking it would be fun to start making my own sausage, especially since the hot italian sausage around here doesn't get very spicey and seems to have some sort of orangey-red dye in it (unless they're giving it a heavy dose of paprika, which doesn't belong there either, it just doesn't look right to me).

I compared the prices of Wendy's and McD's one day...not only does Wendy's taste better, but they are more affordable if you really do need a cheap meal fast. That whole finger thing was just a hoax too, so it didn't stop me from choosing Wendy's.

Yes, out of all the fast food burger places, I prefer Wendy's, but that's because I like both their burgers AND their fries. I like McDonalds fries but their burgers aren't anything great, while Burger King has really tasty burgers, but horrid fries. Besides, I feel like I'm being a little healthy by getting a burger with some vegetables on it. :biggrin:

Did they ever find out where that finger came from? I know that woman was arrested, but last I heard, she wasn't saying where she got the finger from. I don't even know why it took so long to sort out. Afterall, one glance should be able to tell you if it had been cooked into a pot of chili or not.

Moonbear said:
Did they ever find out where that finger came from? I know that woman was arrested, but last I heard, she wasn't saying where she got the finger from. I don't even know why it took so long to sort out. Afterall, one glance should be able to tell you if it had been cooked into a pot of chili or not.
What I saw on the news was that a co-worker or friend had their finger tip bitten off.

Evo said:
What I saw on the news was that a co-worker or friend had their finger tip bitten off.

Bitten?! Hopefully not by that woman who planted it!

That's why I dont' eat fast food, they got fingers! There was a guy who got custard from a fast-food restaerant and he really did find a finger!

I really don't go out to eat unless it's chili's.

Someone brought up sausages; with my scottish heritage, I get annoyed when people bring up the haggis thing: "Ewww, do you know what they put in haggis?" Essentially all parts of a sheep are used (no need to list them all) and traditionally it is then stuffed into the stomach lining and then boiled. Well, what the heck difference is that from any English German or Italian sausage? The European cultures ate the whole thing! WHen they were down to the bones, they boiled them and made stew! I'm not familiar with the culinary cultures of other continents, but I'll bet all meat eaters learned to eat the entire animal (the parts they couldn't eat, they wore). I see this as the most responsible use of livestock: waste nothing.

I'm surprised black pudding hasn't been mentioned yet...

yomamma said:
Does anyone here eat at McDonald's? Does anyone here eat at McDonald's Since the movie Super Size Me?
I ate at McD's the day after I saw the movie (last Sunday) on general principle. No, I did not supersize.

Oh, and the thing that irks me most about hippies is that they lie. Whoever gave you these "facts" pulled a fast one on you.
yomamma said:
-McDonald's is said to be the world's largest purchaser of cow eyeballs. :yuck:
Ok, "is said" means...nothing!
-McDonald's salads have more fat calories than Big Macs :yuck: :bugeye:
Really? Maybe you could check... http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_controller.nutrition.index1.html In fact, the Big Mac has 30, but there are only six combinations (of a possible 40) of salads and dressings that get you over 30g. The vast majority have less than half.
-That tiny McGriddle is the most fattening thing there.
There are 3 McGriddle's - the one with the most has 48grams. A 5pc Chicken select has 51.

Ya know - I was thinking of eating at Subway today, but I think I'll eat at McDonald's instead...

Last edited by a moderator:
Monique said:
Technically, why would eating organs be so much worse than eating cow meat?
Simple: it sounds worse to a hippie who is trying to create an emotional reaction.

yomamma, I hope you never find out all the dirt on all the other foods you eat - you'd starve to death.

Moonbear said:
Actually, I thought someone already did, which is why it was something I had heard of before. Maybe that's why they now offer listings of their ingredients? Knowing about unexpected ingredients is even more important to anyone with a food allergy.
I thought posting the ingredients and nutrition facts, was federal law.

The premise of the movie was one such lawsuit, the judge said that in order to win the suit, the plaintiff had to prove both that McDonald's wanted you to eat every meal there and that doing so would make you sick. The guy in "Supersize Me" took it a step further and purposely choose to eat things high in fat. Regardless, the plaintiffs failed to make their case.

For anyone who thinks that we should assume McDonald's wants us to eat every meal there, apply that logic to any other food/situation (for example, beer...) and see if it works...

I have another little peeve with McDs. Recently I ordered a Quarter Pounder and a drink. The girl fixs my drink and then puts a Quarter Pounder w/cheese on the tray. I told her I just want a plain Quarter Pounder and she tells me they don't have those anymore. I asked, "What if I don't want cheese?" She replies, "then you have to order a Quarter Pounder w/cheese hold the cheese." I asked her if there was a discount for that and she said no. I then stated that it seemed to me that all customers that want a Quarter Pounder are now charged for a Quarter Pounder w/cheese even if they don't want any cheese and the manager that overheard this said yes. He then explained that they dropped the plain burger because they didn't sell enough so now it's extra work for them to leave the cheese off of the cheeseburger and that's why there's no discount. I wonder, does Wendy's discount their chili if you ask them to hold the fingers?

Last edited:
C1ay said:
I have another little peeve with McDs. Recently I ordered a Quarter Pounder and a drink. The girl fixs my drink and then puts a Quarter Pounder w/cheese on the tray. I told her I just want a plain Quarter Pounder and she tells me they don't have those anymore. I asked, "What if I don't want cheese?" She replies, "then you have to order a Quarter Pounder w/cheese hold the cheese."
I stopped ordering quarter pounders because they kept giving them to me with cheese on them when I didn't order it with cheese. I thought it was just the morons at the drive through window. There's no way I'm waiting for them to make anything to special order, it might cause their collective last neuron to explode to try to figure out how to do that.
I wonder, does Wendy's discount their chili if you ask them to hold the fingers?
:rofl: No, there's no extra charge for fingers. :rofl:

Just got back from lunch. I had a quarter pounder with cheese (a burger without cheese is unAmerican :devil: ) (25g fat, 510 cal), a medium fries (16g fat, 350 cal) and a medium coke (210 cal).

Keeping in the spirit of this thread, I forced a co-worker to eat there as well (he rides a bike to work). He had a crispy chicken sandwich (23g fat, 500 cal), medium fries, and medium coke.

Moonbear said:
I keep thinking it would be fun to start making my own sausage.

You really should try it, it's a lot of fun plus you can make so many different varieties: chorizo, linguica, italian, 5-spice asian, seafood...mmmmmmm! Plus you can control the fat content. Just don't think about what went through the casings the last time they were used. :yuck:

Chi Meson said:
Someone brought up sausages; with my scottish heritage, I get annoyed when people bring up the haggis thing: "Ewww, do you know what they put in haggis?" Essentially all parts of a sheep are used (no need to list them all) and traditionally it is then stuffed into the stomach lining and then boiled. Well, what the heck difference is that from any English German or Italian sausage? The European cultures ate the whole thing! WHen they were down to the bones, they boiled them and made stew! I'm not familiar with the culinary cultures of other continents, but I'll bet all meat eaters learned to eat the entire animal (the parts they couldn't eat, they wore). I see this as the most responsible use of livestock: waste nothing.

Have you seen the haggis they now sell in cans? I just read about it in Saveur, I'll try to find the info on it and post it. I also recall seeing something about haggis-flavored potato chips. I agree about the most efficient use of the animal, we used to eat beef heart regularly, as well as liver. Kidney isn't too bad, but not something I choose. I had sweetbreads (calf thymus) when I was in New Orleans recently and they were great. Tripe is nice is soups too.

Back