Does anyone know a crystal with refractive index of water?

In summary, the refractive index of water is approximately 1.33 at room temperature and standard atmospheric pressure. It is important because it determines how light bends when passing through water and is essential for various scientific and technological applications. The refractive index of water can change depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities or dissolved substances. There are several crystals with a similar refractive index to water, including quartz, calcite, and diamond. To find a crystal with a specific refractive index, one can search through databases or consult with experts in crystallography, or use tools such as a refractometer to measure the refractive index of a crystal.
MaxL
When I was a little kid, I met a gemologist who showed me a cool trick with a ring he'd bought for his wife. When he submerged it in water, the crystal disappeared!

As I now know, this crystal had an index of refraction of 1.33.

Anyone know what this crystal is and/or how I can get my hands on one?

Science news on Phys.org
Cryolite?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryolite

http://cgi.ebay.com/FREAKINGCAT---2.46-ct---CRYOLITE---GREENLAND_W0QQitemZ120499866185QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20091205?IMSfp=TL091205011007r1225

Last edited:

I can confirm that the refractive index of water is indeed 1.33. This means that any object submerged in water will appear to disappear due to the bending of light as it passes through the water.

There are many crystals with a refractive index of 1.33, including quartz, sapphire, and diamond. However, the specific crystal used by the gemologist in the trick may be difficult to determine without more information.

If you are interested in replicating this trick, I suggest doing some research on different types of crystals and their refractive indices, and experimenting with different ones until you find one that works well. You can also visit a local gem and mineral show or shop to see if they have any crystals with a refractive index of 1.33 available for purchase. Keep in mind that the size and shape of the crystal may also affect the effectiveness of the trick.

I also want to caution that while this is a fun and interesting trick, it is important to handle any crystals with care and avoid damaging them. Thank you for sharing your experience and curiosity about this topic.

1. What is the refractive index of water?

The refractive index of water is approximately 1.33 at room temperature and standard atmospheric pressure.

2. Why is the refractive index of water important?

The refractive index of water is important because it determines how light bends or refracts when it passes through water. This property is essential for a variety of scientific and technological applications, such as in optics and microscopy.

3. Can the refractive index of water change?

Yes, the refractive index of water can change depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities or dissolved substances. For example, the refractive index of water increases as temperature decreases.

4. Are there any crystals with a refractive index similar to water?

Yes, there are several crystals that have a similar refractive index to water, including quartz, calcite, and diamond. However, the exact value of the refractive index may vary depending on the type and quality of the crystal.

5. How can I find a crystal with a specific refractive index?

You can search through databases or consult with experts in crystallography to find a crystal with a specific refractive index. You can also use tools such as a refractometer to measure the refractive index of a crystal and determine if it matches the desired value.