Does anyone know of a simple eye simulator? (geometrical optics)

In summary, the conversation is about the search for a calculator, specifically a matrix based one, to determine the size of an image projected on the retina by an object at a certain distance from the eye. The person also mentions that the thin film approximation is not suitable for this calculation. They ask if anyone knows of such a calculator, and mention the "Gullstrand model" as one of the basic eye models.
Jet Black
I'm looking for a "simple" calculator, most likely a matrix based thing, to allow me to work out the size of an image projected on the retina by an object of a given size some distance from the retina. being the eye, the thin film approximation is no good (i.e. if I have an object 3cm from the eye that is 5mm across, what is the extent of that object on the retina - yes I know it will be out of focus, but the maximum extent is fine)... anyone know of such thing anywhere?

Science news on Phys.org
There's a few models of the eye, one of the basic/standard ones is the "Gullstrand model"

http://www.visualopticslab.com/opti535/lectures/class02_08.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an eye simulator and what is its purpose?

An eye simulator is a device or software that mimics the behavior of the human eye. It is used to study and understand the principles of geometrical optics, which involves the study of how light behaves and interacts with objects.

2. How does an eye simulator work?

An eye simulator typically consists of a light source, lenses, and a screen or detector. Light from the source passes through the lenses and is focused onto the screen or detector, creating an image. By manipulating the position and characteristics of the lenses, the behavior of light can be simulated to mimic that of the human eye.

3. What are the benefits of using an eye simulator?

An eye simulator allows scientists and students to study the behavior of light in a controlled environment without the need for expensive equipment or human subjects. It also allows for the simulation of different eye conditions and optical aberrations, providing a deeper understanding of how the eye works.

4. Are there different types of eye simulators?

Yes, there are different types of eye simulators depending on the purpose and level of complexity. Some simulators may only have basic components, while others may include more advanced features such as adjustable lenses and the ability to simulate different eye conditions.

5. Can an eye simulator be used for practical applications?

While an eye simulator is primarily used for educational and research purposes, it can also have practical applications. For example, it can be used to design and test new eyeglasses or contact lenses, or to simulate how light will behave in various lighting conditions for architectural or interior design purposes.