Does Anyone Shop Sales, Groupon, Coupon, etc. Regularly?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary, if you're looking for information on tests screening for movies, you can check out gofobo.com.
kyphysics
If so, feel free to share cool deals.

My latest thing is looking into getting free advance movie screenings. Good to save $ and enjoy a film before a bazillion reviews and friends/family ruin them for you with spoilers.

I do Groupon when I see some nice 50%+ off restaurant deals. And, lastly, I coupon at Target.

Always open to learning about new deals.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a classical problem related to this, maybe you like it in case you did not know it already.
(I learned about it first from Volume 1 of Feller's An Introduction to Probability Theory and its Applications. Look for "collector's problem" in the index.)

(@Demystifier, given your interest in this sort of problem, it is actually something you might enjoy. As you can see from the above reference, your fellow countryman strikes again.)

Last edited:
Krylov said:
There is a classical problem related to this, maybe you like it in case you did not know it already.
(I learned about it first from Volume 1 of Feller's An Introduction to Probability Theory and its Applications. Look for "collector's problem" in the index.)
I don't see how that relates to the subject of the thread. Please explain.

russ_watters said:
I don't see how that relates to the subject of the thread. Please explain.
Since we are on a science forum, I thought it could be interesting to approach the problem of coupon collection mathematically. In particular, using the results on the collector's problem, one may compute in certain instances whether the decision to collect coupons has positive monetary expectation. (As can be seen from the link, this depends on the number of required coupons, the expected number of trials and the price per trial.)

If you don't care for that, then by all means, don't bother. It very much relates to the subject, though.

Krylov said:
Since we are on a science forum, I thought it could be interesting to approach the problem of coupon collection mathematically. In particular, using the results on the collector's problem, one may compute in certain instances whether the decision to collect coupons has positive monetary expectation. (As can be seen from the link, this depends on the number of required coupons, the expected number of trials and the price per trial.)

If you don't care for that, then by all means, don't bother. It very much relates to the subject, though.
Well that link refers to "collect and win" "coupon" contests, which sale coupons are not. Your probability of getting all available sale coupons from a particular source is 100%.

russ_watters said:
Well that refers to "collect and win" "coupon" contests, which sale coupons are not. Your probability of getting all available sale coupons from a particular source is 100%.
I did not get from the original post that the discussion was focusing specifically on sale coupons.

Last edited:
Krylov said:
I did not get from the original post that the discussion was focusing specifically on sale coupons.
I see sale coupons referenced specifically twice in the title and four times in the post...and no mention of contests anywhere.

Getting us back on topic, any time I buy anything online I check with retailmenot. The website really has saved me a lot of money in the past. I also get involved in rewards programs for services I often use. Couponing has never worked well for me. It seems the products with coupons are products I don't want.

Likes Evo
I use ebates.com to earn cash back from some retailers, and like Greg, I'll often check retailmenot.com before placing an order online. In the past, fatwallet.com was a good place to learn of deals. I try to take advantage of deals my credit cards offer as well.

If you're looking for test screening for movies, check out gofobo.com.

You can buy discount movie tickets passes online at Costco.com and AAA and print them out at home.

Likes kyphysics
I assume
kyphysics said:
If so, feel free to share cool deals.

My latest thing is looking into getting free advance movie screenings. Good to save $ and enjoy a film before a bazillion reviews and friends/family ruin them for you with spoilers.

I do Groupon when I see some nice 50%+ off restaurant deals. And, lastly, I coupon at Target.

Always open to learning about new deals.

I assume you're familiar with extreme couponing ? I have seen people obtain 3-4 shopping cart full of merchandise for some $20 or so. I assume supermarkets are not happy to see them coming in.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=extreme+couponing&t=hb&ia=web

WWGD said:
I assumeI assume you're familiar with extreme couponing ? I have seen people obtain 3-4 shopping cart full of merchandise for some $20 or so. I assume supermarkets are not happy to see them coming in.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=extreme+couponing&t=hb&ia=web
As far as I know, the extreme couponing is a scam. We had a thread about it before.

Evo said:
As far as I know, the extreme couponing is a scam. We had a thread about it before.
Do you mean the couponers are the scammers or the scammed?

Evo said:

Some extreme couponers might be scammers, but some are legit. A girl from the show Extreme Couponing has a YouTube channel with her husband (His & Her Money) that I sometimes watch and they are devout Christians with very high ethics. She's talked of her experiences on the show Extreme Couponing and of how she shops nowadays.

Extreme couponing is a lot harder post-EC show, because stores, manufacturers, third parties, etc. got smart to what was going on. You can still do nice hauls, but you probably won't see people doing the crazy stuff on that show ($1,000+ of groceries/goods for like 10 cents after all the discounts and coupons are applied).

1. How often do people shop sales, Groupon, coupon, etc. regularly?

The frequency at which people shop sales, Groupon, coupon, etc. regularly varies from person to person. Some individuals may shop these deals on a weekly or monthly basis, while others may only do so during special occasions or when they come across a particularly good deal.

2. What are the benefits of shopping sales, Groupon, coupon, etc. regularly?

The main benefit of regularly shopping sales, Groupon, coupon, etc. is the potential to save money. These deals often offer discounts or special offers which can save shoppers a significant amount of money. Additionally, regularly using these deals can also help individuals budget and plan their purchases more effectively.

3. Are there any downsides to shopping sales, Groupon, coupon, etc. regularly?

One potential downside of regularly shopping sales, Groupon, coupon, etc. is that it may lead to impulsive purchases. People may be tempted to buy things they don't necessarily need just because they are on sale. It's important to carefully consider if the item is necessary before making a purchase, even if it is discounted.

4. How can someone find the best deals when shopping sales, Groupon, coupon, etc. regularly?

To find the best deals, it's important to do some research and compare prices. Many websites and apps offer deals from various retailers, making it easy to compare prices and find the best deal. It's also helpful to sign up for email newsletters and follow retailers on social media to stay updated on special promotions and sales.

5. Is it worth the time and effort to shop sales, Groupon, coupon, etc. regularly?

This ultimately depends on the individual and their shopping habits. For some, the potential savings and benefits of regularly shopping these deals may outweigh the time and effort it takes to find and use them. Others may not find it worthwhile. It's important to assess one's own spending and savings goals to determine if it is worth it for them.