Does combusted gas travel faster in a vacuum tube?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speed of combusted gas in a vacuum tube compared to a regular tube and whether an object placed at the beginning of the vacuum tube would travel faster. The bonus question also considers which piece of plastic would break first in two identical guns with different barrel conditions. It is suggested that the plastic end without a hole would break first due to air resistance. However, this is just a guess and not confirmed.
Limebat
TL;DR Summary
Does combusted gas travel faster in a vacuum tube?
Hey all,
So if a gas is combusted, would it travel faster through a vacuum tube or a regular ole' tube? I would assume the vacuum tube, as there are less particulates collisions in the way of the fast-moving gas molecules. Yet this also implies pressure on the outside of the thin barrier _ 2, indicating a large pressure resistance would be met when puncturing the last stretch of the tube. I am unsure because I haven't taken any gas dynamics / thermo classes yet. It would help a good bit if anyone can answer!

- Bonus question:
If an object is put at the beginning of the vacuum tube, then the gas is combusted, would the projectile travel faster? I would assume the same idea would happen - less molecules in the way / other reasons not to. However, the combusted gas is assumed to fill only the area behind the projectile, not in front. Meaning vacuum dynamics would probably only apply to the projectile and its forces propelling it. So this probably turns into a classical physics problem, where:

Is an accelerating projectile faster in vacuum rather than not in a vacuum?

Attachments

• IMG_5855.jpg
    IMG_5855.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 86
Physics news on Phys.org
Limebat said:
Summary:: Does combusted gas travel faster in a vacuum tube?

Hey all,
So if a gas is combusted, would it travel faster through a vacuum tube or a regular ole' tube? I would assume the vacuum tube, as there are less particulates collisions in the way of the fast-moving gas molecules. Yet this also implies pressure on the outside of the thin barrier _ 2, indicating a large pressure resistance would be met when puncturing the last stretch of the tube. I am unsure because I haven't taken any gas dynamics / thermo classes yet. It would help a good bit if anyone can answer!

- Bonus question:
If an object is put at the beginning of the vacuum tube, then the gas is combusted, would the projectile travel faster? I would assume the same idea would happen - less molecules in the way / other reasons not to. However, the combusted gas is assumed to fill only the area behind the projectile, not in front. Meaning vacuum dynamics would probably only apply to the projectile and its forces propelling it. So this probably turns into a classical physics problem, where:

Is an accelerating projectile faster in vacuum rather than not in a vacuum?
So we have two identical guns. One has a thin piece of plastic over the end so that the barrel is evacuated. The other has the same thin piece of plastic over the end, but with a pinhole leak so that the barrel is filled with air.

We place identical shells in each gun's firing chamber. The shells have no bullet. Just propellant.

You want to know what, exactly?

Which piece of plastic breaks first if both guns are fired simultaneously?

Likes Limebat
jbriggs444 said:
So we have two identical guns. One has a thin piece of plastic over the end so that the barrel is evacuated. The other has the same thin piece of plastic over the end, but with a pinhole leak so that the barrel is filled with air.

We place identical shells in each gun's firing chamber. The shells have no bullet. Just propellant.

You want to know what, exactly?

Which piece of plastic breaks first if both guns are fired simultaneously?
Ah, I would assume the one with the plastic end (no hole) would break first; until the combusted gas molecules hit the plastic walls, air resistance becomes the key player in the flame front velocities. Assuming the caps are infinitesimally small, meaning any applied chamber force could break either, the plastic end (no hole) would break first.

*Note; this is just a guess of mine. I'm not entirely sure if this is correct.

1. Does combusted gas travel faster in a vacuum tube?

In general, combusted gas does not travel faster in a vacuum tube compared to a regular tube. This is because the speed of the gas is determined by its temperature, pressure, and molecular weight, not by the presence or absence of air in the tube.

2. Why do some people believe that combusted gas travels faster in a vacuum tube?

There is a common misconception that the absence of air in a vacuum will allow objects to travel faster. This is because in a vacuum, there is no air resistance to slow down an object. However, this only applies to objects that are not propelled by an external force, such as gravity or combustion.

3. Are there any exceptions to the rule that combusted gas does not travel faster in a vacuum tube?

In certain specialized cases, such as in rocket engines, the combustion process can be optimized to take advantage of the lack of air resistance in a vacuum. However, this is achieved through specific design and engineering techniques, not simply by placing the combustion in a vacuum tube.

4. How does the speed of combusted gas compare in a vacuum versus a regular tube?

As mentioned earlier, the speed of combusted gas is primarily determined by its temperature, pressure, and molecular weight. Therefore, the speed of the gas will be the same in a vacuum tube as it would be in a regular tube, assuming all other conditions are equal.

5. Can a vacuum tube increase the speed of combusted gas?

No, a vacuum tube cannot increase the speed of combusted gas. The speed of the gas is determined by its internal properties and the external forces acting upon it, not by the presence or absence of air in the tube.