Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Does gre verbal matter for aerospace?

Tags:
  1. Sep 6, 2012 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

does gre verbal matter for aerospace??

if this question should be placed somewhere else, please let me know.

my question: took the gre today, scored 160 quant (85%) and 147 verbal (40%). literally studied one week for quant (not holistically) and no study for verbal.

will verbal crush me for grad schools like UW, UVA, Maryland, Purdue?

thanks all

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2012 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: does gre verbal matter for aerospace??

That is low for verbal but in engineering it isn't a killer. I would be more concerned with your quantitative score. That isn't terrible, but it is below average for engineers. Then again, it is the GRE, and at most schools it is perhaps the least-weighted factor in your application.

4. Sep 8, 2012 #3

My first time taking I scored:
    158 (77th) Verbal
    164 (90th) Quant
    3.5 (30th) Writing

My writing score actually got me unaccepted from several graduate schools. I had to fill out waivers to bypass admissions.

So yeah, GRE scores tend to be a qualifier. A perfect score has little to no difference from a "passing" grade, but you should double check that you have made the minimum requirements.

5. Sep 8, 2012 #4

Don't take the GRE too seriously. Yeah it matters for bureaucratic purposes, but what's infinity more important is what you have done with your undergraduate career (GPA, internships, research, independent studies, extracurricular activities) and how well you write your statement of purpose. Good letters of rec. also help! I had scores similar yours (I think 85%,50% and 4.0 respectively) and got into every school I applied to, 3 of them were in the top 10 at the time (UFl, USC, VT) for aerospace engineering. The point is the test doesn't tell the admissions committee anything useful about your abilities as a student. I attribute my success to writing a kick-a$$ statement of purpose, making the most of my undergraduate career, and networking with a few really good professors.

Don't waste your time and money retaking the test unless your undergraduate career is lacking.

6. Sep 9, 2012 #5

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually no, internships and extracurricular activities matter very little for graduate school admissions. Internships are better than nothing but nowhere close to GPA, recommendations and research experience.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook