1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does it matter if L + epsilon is not in the range of the function?

1. Feb 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use a graphing calculator to find [itex]\delta[/itex]
    when

0<|x - [itex]\pi[/itex]/2|<[itex]\delta[/itex] and |sin(x) - 1|<0.2

2. Relevant equations
    I don't think there are any other than the format of the previous information:

0<|x-a|<[itex]\delta[/itex] and |f(x)-L|<[itex]\epsilon[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay, so I used the graphing calculator to graph sinx, y=1.2 and y=0.8
    The thing is, L + ε turns out to be greater than 1, so I have something like this (i attached a picture).

For [itex]\delta[/itex] I got 0.61. I'm not sure if it's possible, because the line y=1.2 doesn't touch the graph of sinx. Is it possible?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's just fine. Sure, sin(x) never exceeds 1.2, so you don't have to worry about that case.

4. Feb 3, 2014 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No.

Edited:
    You just need to have ##\displaystyle \ L-\varepsilon < f(x) < L+\varepsilon \ ## whenever ##\displaystyle 0< \left| x-a \right| <\delta ##

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  5. Feb 3, 2014 #4
    Uhm, okay. So... who is right???
    I don't quite understand what L-ε < f(x) < L -ε means. Do you mean L - ε < f(x) < L + ε ???

6. Feb 3, 2014 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure what SammyS is on about. If |x-pi/2|<0.61 then |sin(x)-1|<0.2. At least approximately, as your graph is showing you. I don't see any problems with what you did.

7. Feb 3, 2014 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Mainly a typo.

I'll fix it.

8. Feb 3, 2014 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ah, ok so your "No" was answering the "Does it matter" question in the post question and my "Yes" was answering the "Is it possible" question posed by the OP in the post. No conflict.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted