Does Laplace's Equation Apply to Infinite Boundary Conditions and Fourier Transforms?

  • Thread starter Thread starter squenshl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Laplace's equation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
squenshl
Messages
468
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


Consider Laplace's equation uxx + uyy = 0 on the region -inf <= x <= inf, 0 <= y <= 1 subject to the boundary conditions u(x,0) = 0, u(x,1) = f(x), limit as x tends to inf of u(x,y) = 0.
Show that the solution is given by u(x,y) = F-1(sinh(wy)f(hat)/sinh(wy))


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I used Fourier transforms in x.
I got u(hat)(w,y) = Aeky + Be-ky
In Fourier space:
u(hat)(w,0) = F(0) = 0
u(hat)(w,1) = f(hat)(w)
But u(hat) is a function of y. My question is how do I apply the 3rd boundary condition (as this is the limit as x(not y) tends to inf) to u(hat)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
squenshl said:
I used Fourier transforms in x.
I got u(hat)(w,y) = Aeky + Be-ky

You mean [itex]\hat{u}(\omega,y)=Ae^{\omega y}+Be^{-\omega y}[/itex], right? :wink:

My question is how do I apply the 3rd boundary condition (as this is the limit as x(not y) tends to inf) to u(hat)

You already used it. If [tex]\lim_{x\to\pm\infty} u(x,y)\neq 0[/itex], its Fourier transform (from [itex]x[/itex] to [itex]\omega[/itex]) might not exist (the integral could diverge).[/tex]
 
Very true. That is what I meant.
But when did I use this boundary condition?
 
squenshl said:
But when did I use this boundary condition?

When you took the FT of [itex]u(x,y)[/itex], and hence assumed that it existed.