Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does light have a frame of reference?

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1
    I know that you're going to probably say that a frame of reference doesn't make sense for light, but I've uploaded a discussion (warning: has profanity) from another website (reddit.com) and I'm curious to see if the user Imhtpsnvsbl makes a valid point.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

That is utter rubbish in the context of SR. Don't depend on posts from people on reddit of all places. You can't even argue with claims like that because they are just random nonsense. As far as SR is concerned, it doesn't make sense to lorentz boost to the frame of a photon.

4. Feb 5, 2013 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is no such thing as an "infinite momentum" frame. That would require that the particle be AT c, which is not possible.

5. Feb 5, 2013 #4
    Ah, I suspected so. The wrong opinion was being upvoted/liked which confused me.

6. Feb 5, 2013 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

One major reason why we don't have a vote system here on PF. It's utter nonsense since popularity means squat when it comes to science.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook