Is Energy Required to Freeze Water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy consumption and entropy in the process of freezing water. The question is raised whether energy is needed to freeze water and if the energy is stored in the ice and released when it melts. The discussion also touches on the relationship between entropy and BH loop in electromagnetic theories.
aychamo
Hi guys,

Very long time, no see!

Quick question: if water is left outside and freezes, was any energy consumed in the freezing process? And if so, would this energy be stored in the ice and be released when it melts?

My gut is telling me that no energy is needed to freeze water, because the freezing is a result of water molecules moving slower (due to decreased temperature, or decreased energy input.) Perhaps I'm just having a brain-fart in needing to even ask this question.

Thank you for any input.

Aychamo

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct: Energy is removed from the water to make it freeze.

If you want to create the conditions, locally, such that you can make ice , however. You need to have already expended energy (running the freezer) in order to shift energy from inside the freezer into the outside world.
To decrease the entropy ('extracting' some of the thermal energy from your freezer and re-ordering the situation locally), you have had to increase the total entropy of the Universe by burning coal somewhere, to generate the Electricity.

hey I am not very much friendly with these thermodynamics.. but I have studied it in my 1st year.. (but now I am in electronic department..!).. anyway I remember the 'entropy' was something which make lot of us crazy and crazy :-)...
whatever it is I have a comment on this ... yes of course ,you take some coal energy and then you use that energy to extract energy from the water.. no doubt the energy inside the water will decrease and it will be frozen.. my problem is how this entropy comes to here..? everything is fine.. 'but' the disorder of the molecules... ! entropy...!and as I remember the entropy of the universe is increasing but not decreasing..and if I am correct entropy is a line integral.. sometimes I feel that there is a huge relationship between BH loop in the electromagnetic theories and these entropy case...also in BH loop it says that you need some additional influence to bring back the molecules to its initial order from the final order... ahhh... that is why there is a BH loop other than the same reversing path... it is 'maybe' something like a closed cycle of thermodynamics...! Entropy... ! that is amazing... anyway this is just a comment...

1. How does making ice take energy?

Making ice takes energy because it involves changing water from its liquid state to a solid state. This process requires the water to lose heat energy, which is provided by an external energy source.

2. What type of energy is required to make ice?

The energy required to make ice is thermal energy. This energy is needed to lower the temperature of the water below its freezing point, causing it to solidify into ice.

3. Is it more energy efficient to make ice in a refrigerator or a freezer?

In general, it is more energy efficient to make ice in a freezer. This is because a freezer is typically set to a lower temperature than a refrigerator, making it easier to reach the freezing point of water and therefore requiring less energy.

4. How does the process of making ice impact the environment?

The process of making ice can have a negative impact on the environment if the energy source used is not renewable. For example, if electricity from fossil fuels is used, it can contribute to air pollution and climate change. However, using renewable energy sources such as solar or wind can reduce the environmental impact.

5. Can making ice save energy in any way?

Yes, making ice can save energy in some situations. For example, if you make ice during off-peak hours when energy demand is lower, it can reduce the strain on the power grid and potentially save energy. Additionally, using an energy-efficient ice maker or freezer can also help save energy.