Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the difference in charge play a role in electromagnetism such as

1. Sep 22, 2008 #1
    does the difference in charge play a role in electromagnetism such as a +8 charge pulling a -1 being stronger because of the difference in numbers or does that even matter i mean would that mean that that is stronger compared to a + 1 charge pulling a -1 charge. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2008 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

Re: electromagnetism

Yes, it matters: F=kq1q2/r2

It might be interesting to consider the motion of a test charge between two infinitely large parallel conductors. Does (+1,-1) and (+2,0) produce the same result?

I'm not sure I've that up correctly, but take a look at the method of images:
    http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node64.html

4. Sep 22, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Coulomb's law

Hi cam875!

It's not the difference in charge, but the product of the charges, that matters (and also the distance, of course :wink:).

So a +8 and a -1 (or a -8 and a +1) pull each other twice as strongly as a +4 and a -1.

See Coulomb's law :smile:

5. Sep 22, 2008 #4

cool thanks for the help very interesting. so are u saying that because (+8) + (-1) is 7 and (+4) + (-1) is 3 that there is a little more than double the attraction in the first example.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  6. Sep 22, 2008 #5

atyy

Science Advisor

No. I believe what tiny-tim is very correctly saying is in the first example, the attraction between two point charges a fixed distance apart ~(+8)(-1)=-8 units, in the second example, the attraction is ~(+4)(-1)=-4 units. So the attraction is exactly double in the first example compared to the second.

I really second his recommendation that you look up Coulomb's law.:smile:

7. Sep 23, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

atyy atyy atyy!

I agree entirely with atyy. :biggrin:

8. Sep 23, 2008 #7

oh ok so your multiplying the charges instead of adding them. makes sense and im going to look at that law, thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?