Does the difference in charge play a role in electromagnetism such as

In summary, the difference in charge does not play a role in electromagnetism. It is the product of the charges that determines the strength of the attraction, along with the distance between them. So a +8 charge and a -1 charge will have twice the attraction as a +4 charge and a -1 charge. This is described by Coulomb's law.
cam875
does the difference in charge play a role in electromagnetism such as a +8 charge pulling a -1 being stronger because of the difference in numbers or does that even matter i mean would that mean that that is stronger compared to a + 1 charge pulling a -1 charge. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, it matters: F=kq1q2/r2

It might be interesting to consider the motion of a test charge between two infinitely large parallel conductors. Does (+1,-1) and (+2,0) produce the same result?

I'm not sure I've that up correctly, but take a look at the method of images:
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node64.html

Coulomb's law

cam875 said:
does the difference in charge play a role in electromagnetism such as a +8 charge pulling a -1 being stronger because of the difference in numbers or does that even matter i mean would that mean that that is stronger compared to a + 1 charge pulling a -1 charge. Thanks in advance.

Hi cam875!

It's not the difference in charge, but the product of the charges, that matters (and also the distance, of course :wink:).

So a +8 and a -1 (or a -8 and a +1) pull each other twice as strongly as a +4 and a -1.

See Coulomb's law :smile:

cool thanks for the help very interesting. so are u saying that because (+8) + (-1) is 7 and (+4) + (-1) is 3 that there is a little more than double the attraction in the first example.

Last edited:

tiny-tim said:
It's not the difference in charge, but the product of the charges, that matters (and also the distance, of course :wink:).

So a +8 and a -1 (or a -8 and a +1) pull each other twice as strongly as a +4 and a -1.

See Coulomb's law :smile:

cam875 said:
cool thanks for the help very interesting. so are u saying that because (+8) + (-1) is 7 and (+4) + (-1) is 3 that there is a little more than double the attraction in the first example.

No. I believe what tiny-tim is very correctly saying is in the first example, the attraction between two point charges a fixed distance apart ~(+8)(-1)=-8 units, in the second example, the attraction is ~(+4)(-1)=-4 units. So the attraction is exactly double in the first example compared to the second.

I really second his recommendation that you look up Coulomb's law.:smile:

atyy atyy atyy!

I agree entirely with atyy. :biggrin:

oh ok so your multiplying the charges instead of adding them. makes sense and I am going to look at that law, thanks for the help.

1. Does the difference in charge affect the strength of an electromagnet?

Yes, the difference in charge plays a crucial role in the strength of an electromagnet. The greater the difference in charge between the poles of the electromagnet, the stronger the magnetic field produced.

2. How does the difference in charge impact the direction of the magnetic field?

The difference in charge determines the direction of the magnetic field in an electromagnet. The field lines always travel from the north pole to the south pole, and the direction is determined by the difference in charge between the poles.

3. Can the difference in charge be adjusted in an electromagnet?

Yes, the difference in charge can be adjusted in an electromagnet by changing the amount of current passing through the wire. Increasing the current will increase the difference in charge between the poles and therefore increase the strength of the electromagnet.

4. How does the difference in charge affect the distance at which an electromagnet can attract objects?

The difference in charge plays a significant role in the distance at which an electromagnet can attract objects. The stronger the difference in charge, the greater the distance at which the electromagnet can attract objects.

5. Is the difference in charge the only factor that affects the strength of an electromagnet?

No, the number of coils, the size of the wire, and the material used can also impact the strength of an electromagnet. However, the difference in charge between the poles is a crucial factor in determining the strength of an electromagnet.