Does the earth expand and contract

• Thread starter venturerite
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary, according to this article, the crust is created and destroyed in balance, and mountain building (aka orogeny) happens when tectonic plates collide. The Earth is slowly cooling and thus shrinking but this rate is miniscule and insignificant compared to plate tectonic processes. Local differences on the other hand...
venturerite
perhaps some of the crust structure texture (mountains & canyons) is constructed from the Earth expanding and contracting like a balloon does when it warms or cools, though I'd think this would all be based on its internal temp...

Dan

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
You should read this http://volcano.und.edu/vwdocs/vwlessons/plate_tectonics/introduction.html (split across several pages).

The important point to take from reading that is to learn that crust is created and destroyed in balance- if crust is destroyed or compresed in one area then to balance this there is more created at the mid ocean ridges. Mountain building (aka orogeny) happens when tectonic plates collide as shown here. This is largely due to physical stress rather than thermal changes. Most valleys and canyons are formed by erosion, but rift valleys can be formed when crust spreads locally and forms faults, leading to graben formation. Again this is largely due to physical stress rather than temperature.
The Earth is slowly cooling and thus shrinking but this rate is miniscule and insignificant compared to plate tectonic processes. I wouldn't be surprised if the rate at which it shrinks is overbalanced by the rate at which it recives material from space leading to an overall growth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nevertheless, it is an interesting question. Does the interior temperature fluctuate? And if so, does the globe expand or contract, and could this veriable any apreciable amount of buckling of the crust. Obviously, any such effect would be very small, but could it eb measured?

Earth has no internal heat source that I'm aware of so I'm not sure it could increase in temperature. Tectonic activity and configuration/size/thickness of plates could affect the rate of cooling on a global scale, but I'd think only on incredibly long timescales.

Local differences on the other hand... The majority of scientists think that hot spot swells are at least partially due to local heating of the Earth's crust by hot buoyant mantle plumes.

There are intenrla heat sources from radioactive decay and tidal friction from the moon - but neither are enough to seriously change the temperature of the core.
There is a significant amount of up or down motion of the crust at northern latitiudes as it 'rebounds' from the weight of the ice being removed in the last ice-age. This is in the mm/year range for parts of northern europe.

mgb_phys said:
There are intenrla heat sources from radioactive decay and tidal friction from the moon - but neither are enough to seriously change the temperature of the core.
Now here's something I would like to get straitened out in my head; I thought I once heard that the internal sources, and especially radioactive decay, are by far the dominant heat source of the interior, and that the heat from the planet's original formation would have cooled off much more by now than it has, if it weren't for this heat source. Is this incorrect?
Also, good point about the hotspots like Hawaii, Mathyaouw. These of course represent a change that is dependant on location rather than time, but they illustrate the idea that an internal temperature change can have a quite significant effect on surface topography.

The core was melted by radioactive decay shortly after the Earth formed.
The current molten core is molten because it hasn't cooled down yet. The cooling rate is very low because there is quite a lot of it and the crust isn't a good conductor.
I don't know what the current heat input from radioactive decay is, probably low since it will only be from remaining long-lived low-activity species.

About two-thirds down the page at this site:
http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm06/fm06-sessions/fm06_MR53A.html
it says
Radioactive decay plays a central role in planetary sciences as appropriate decay schemes are used to date geological and astronomical processes and radioactivity provides an important source of heat in planetary bodies, both in their early history during accretion and differentiation and also over geological times.
But it doesn't say how important. Of course, the paper ends with a proposal to build an antinutrino detector to try to measure just how much radiation is involved.

What evidence is there that suggests the earth expands and contracts?

There have been several studies and observations that support the idea of the earth expanding and contracting. These include changes in the Earth's magnetic field, fluctuations in sea levels, and the distribution of continents over time.

How does the earth expand and contract?

The earth is believed to expand and contract due to processes like tectonic plate movement, volcanic activity, and thermal expansion and contraction of the Earth's crust. These movements cause changes in the Earth's shape and size, causing it to expand and contract over time.

Is there a specific pattern or rate at which the earth expands and contracts?

The expansion and contraction of the Earth are not consistent and can vary over time. It is influenced by various factors such as the location and intensity of tectonic activity, changes in temperature, and the amount of water present on the surface.

Can the expansion and contraction of the earth cause natural disasters?

While the earth's expansion and contraction may contribute to some natural disasters such as earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, they are not the sole cause. These events are usually the result of several factors, including the movement of tectonic plates and the release of built-up pressure within the Earth's crust.

How does the concept of earth expanding and contracting impact our understanding of the origin of the Earth?

The idea of the earth expanding and contracting challenges traditional theories of the Earth's formation, such as the Big Bang theory. It suggests that the Earth is continuously evolving and changing rather than being a static entity. This concept also raises questions about the age of the Earth and the processes that have shaped it over time.