1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Does the magnetic field produced by a magnet act on itself?

1. Feb 23, 2017 #1
    So when a conductor in complete circuit is placed next to a moving magnetic field, current in the conductor is induced and the induced current again produces its own magnetic field. So does this new magnetic field act on the conductor? It's the same as the question in the title. Is my concept wrong? I'm really confused.
    Thanks alot for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Yes. Or, more precisely, the magnetic field from one part of the conductor will act on other parts of the conductor. If you have a conductor loop made out of a very flexible material and power it, it will try to reach a circular shape due to this interaction.

The backreaction from the coil's magnetic field to the conductor that you discuss is also present, and it is the idea behind eddy-current brakes for example: A moving magnet induces currents, those currents induce a magnetic field that slows down the magnet.

4. Feb 24, 2017 #3
    OK thanks.

5. Feb 24, 2017 #4
    One more question. When a bar magnet is dropped through a conducting ring,current is induced. Is there current induced when the ring is perfecting in the middle of the bar magnet? And why?

6. Feb 24, 2017 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

No matter how you place it, you'll always have places where the magnetic field strength changes, which induces a current.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted